If you knew

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Random, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I was thinking and something occurred to me. So I'll post it in the form of an open question here.

For those of you who struggle with strong suicidal thoughts (I'll assume that's most of us), if you knew that in the course of your lifetime, your very existence would save 5 lives, would that be something worth living for?

Now you may not think that's possible but none of us can really see all possible futures. The truth is, everything we do (and everything we don't do) has unforeseen consequences. They can be positive, negative or neutral. But it's the nature of life and living (and even of dying).

Walking out your front door may save someone's life (or end it). Answering your telephone may do the same. You just never know.

Someone said that it could be that my only purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others. Which, I have to say, would be a great deal more comforting if I didn't know that many people ignore crystal clear warnings. But it is still some small comfort.

What Am I getting at? What if I live to the ripe old age of 68 and I never accomplish anything that I can identify as worthwhile? But, by the same token, what if I'm laying on some sidewalk somewhere someday (when I'm 68) and some confused kid sees me and decides not to let that happen to him/her? Or, what if some woman sees me and knowing that she has problems that could be passed along to a child, decides it isn't worth the risk of bringing a child into the world?

Wouldn't that count for something? My most basic feeling (besides feeling sorry for myself) has always been that I wish there was some way that I could prevent other people from having to go through the same things I have. Nothing really teaches empathy like experience.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2008
  2. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

most times life seems like living for. i may have saved many just by being here at this forum or by posting the movies here in soap box for a while, but for me just being here as a result of a failed suicide attempt a few years ago that has now turned into a non failed suicide attempt because it is going to take my life anyway or i will take it in a few days myself.. maybe someone will read what i went throiugh and decide not to attempt..

this can be done even after one is dead , does not have to be while one is alive.. a person can save someone just by the words they have left behind. when i go perhaps someone may come here, do a search, find the movies view them and decide to themselves well maybe i should just stay alive??

you can save someone by being dead just as much as you can alive...

just my two cents on it..
  3. Personally, I believe that my death will help people more than my staying alive would help anybody.
  4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

But how do you know that? My whole point was that you can't. The world's fastest, most powerful computer probably couldn't calculate all possible outcomes for a given set of decisions. The human brain is hopelessly underpowered in that realm.
  5. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

This is why I completely acknowledge that suicide can very easily be seen as a selfish act. But making me stick around for someone else's benefit is just as selfish for them.

Knowing that me sticking around would save 5 people is not enough for me. I've always tried to consider everyone else's feelings and lives when I make my decisions and all that has gotten me is taken advantage of and being completely alone.
  6. trux

trux Well-Known Member

It would depend who those 5 lives are...
    If they are completly random then yea I guess that would be something worth living for, but there are certain people I would rather see dying
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

You see. That's where we differ. There are people I really, really don't like but if I could save anyone's life with just the snap of a finger, I'd do it just because I think there's some good in everyone and as I said, we don't know why we're here. Nor do we know why anyone else is here. But everyone and everything serves some function. And we are not wise enough to think we can tinker with fate.
  8. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

I think the OP has an interesting point.
    However, suicidal thoughts are more often than not a result of a brain overwealmed by emotion, so rational thought is suspended...ultimately, your argument will do little to sway an over-emotional mind.
    It's still a positive thing, though. Any one of us could leave the house today and come back home having saved someone's life. =)
  9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but isn't there any part of you that feels bad for other people who are just as down on themselves as you are?

I was just thinking. By now, at this point in my life, I feel pretty hopeless. Completely overwhelmed. But not everyone is. There are people who are just down and maybe they can get back up someday. Maybe all they need is to see me or see my situation and that will give them the strength or the courage to just stand up. Or maybe it'll be something I say.

Unfortunately, things I say or do could also have a negative impact. And that's a risk. But the point is that we just don't know.

10. I can't prove it, though knowing me, I really don't believe that I am beneficial to people.
  11. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I guess it depends who the lives I was saving were. If one of the five were someone extraordinary, it might be. The next Marie Curie, Thomas Jefferson, Rembrandt, Marcus Aurelius, etc. Howver, if one of the five were some sort of Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin [insert favorite evil historical character here] I might even be able rationalize my life as something worth ending deliberately and post-haste, I guess. If they were five ordinary people, whom I neither knew nor cared about otherwise? I doubt it would make much of a difference.

If so, your efforts are doomed, aren't they? After all your goal appears to try to prevent others from experiencing what you've experienced.
  12. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

there are only 2 person in this world that I'm hanging on for. 1) My 67 year old dad and 2) My 62 year old mum. And I'm really finding it hard to hang on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.