If you take meds what kind do you take?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Stylez, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

I have bipolar disorder and I take three medications

Zoloft and Lamictal in the morning
    Abilify at night

Lamictal and Abilify are mood stabilizers and zoloft as you probably know is an anti depressant

A lot of you probably dont take meds because you think it makes you numb and stuff but thats not true. We have a chemical imbalance in the brain. This is a fact. And medicine helps with this brain chemistry by providing seratonin. This and therapy are really one of the best things you can do for yourself. I know outside the US depression is a sort of taboo subject to talk about but by the posts I read on here would you rather feel like killing yourself than giving yourself a chance to heal? Most of us on here who think about suicide constantly probably have one type of mental illness. This is nothing to be ashamed about. It's like diabetes. You need to treat this disorder by taking the right meds everyday.

Hope you do well...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  2. Reason for Hope

Reason for Hope New Member

I've been on prozac for several months now, and i hate it. I started cutting myself just to feel something.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It sounds like it's not the right med for you. Maybe you could go back to your doctor, tell him/her and see what else is available for you. There are loads of meds out there and it can take time to find the right one. There is no point being on something that makes you feel bad in a different way. Hang in there.
  4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I'm on Zoloft, Risperdal, and Lithium - and sometimes clonazepam for severe anxiety. So far all of them seem to be doing what's intended, tho for circumstantial depression over finances or the kids' behavior there's nothing that helps.

I like Zoloft also for a side effect: "bizarre or unusual thoughts or dreams". My dreams are bizarre, all right. Like going to an Indie movie every night. I call it the Zoloft Cinema...

actually the SSRIs like Zoloft and Prozac don't 'provide' serotonin but only keep the serotonin we have in our brain from being reabsorbed so quickly: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Antidepressants and antipsychotics
  6. iracund

iracund Antiquities Friend

lamictal, celexa, dexedrine, klonopin and xanax as needed.

i'm not crazy. i just play crazy in real life. :)
  7. OK, Abilify, cogentin & benedryl.
    The abilify has so many side effects and I'm currently suffering from 2 of them: headache & lack of being able to sleep. The cogentin & benedryl are merely used in combonation to stop the shaking abilify causes. I feel like I'm dying :sad: