If you were given the choice to LIVE FOREVER... would you take it?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by kyle88, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

So thats the question... A genie comes flying out of nowhere and offers you eternal life on earth...

couple of rules:

1. You can live forever and will never get any type of physical health problem, and any that you have now would be cured...

2. HOWEVER, all mental health problems wouldn't change... (Depression etc..), but you could cure yourself...

3. You can't kill yourself, you CAN'T DIE... no one and nothing can KILL you...

So theres the question, now at first, it might seem like an easy choice, but think about it for a while...

For me this is tough... I think eventually, no matter how much money etc you get, you will eventually get bored... on top of that, EVERYONE YOU WILL EVER MEET OR LOVE WILL DIE... and you will be there to see it...

If there was a nuclear holocaust or something and I was left being the last person on earth... i don't think that would be too much fun either...

But then again the pros, you would have a blast for quite a while and could literally do anything... (nothing illegal... you could still go to jail :p)

LOL so would you take eternal life or not?

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I would say no. I believe in reincarnation and the transmigration of souls so it is my sincerest wish that I come back better than this life...wiser I guess is all I am looking for..mind you I am grateful for this life but feel that I could have done better in so many ways...

3. alison

alison Well-Known Member

definitely not! Although.. I kind of wish certain other people could live forever. Like my parents and grandparents. lol, i'm selfish I guess, but I don't want them to leave me here alone! I definitely need to die before any of my family/friends.

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

NO............

5. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

No i wouldnt want to live forever on earth...take away tbe emotional pain with the physical stuff then maybe...and im still kinda leaning towards no....hmmm difficult i guess...

6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

No, your perceptive of time changes. With enough time, several years would feel like a second. People would flicker in and out of your life, and you wouldn't even have time to react to them.

If it weren't for that, I'd definitely consider it. Being a living relic could be useful someday.

7. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Definitely not. I'm far too dependant on other people to ever be able to live like that. Not only that, but I'm afraid of pretty much everything under the sun. A new age could dawn and humanity might die off and a new species arrive, and I would be hella scared. On the other hand though, not being able to die could mean a lot of benefits for earths progression. I could go into space and look for other life forms on other planets, since I can't die and have all the time in world and much more besides. I think it'd only be truly worth it if there was someone to experience it all with, though. Otherwise it would be a very very lonely existence (reason why Doctor Who always has a companion!!)

8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

That's is what Yahweh offers: everlastinglife, kingship to rule alongside his son when he returns, and a new world of peace to live in forever. This is what I thought you were talking about! Laughs! But Yahweh helps you overcome everything in this world as well. Your not stuck with anything negative or harmful to body or soul. Thanks for sharing though. :)

9. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

If I were offered with the gift of eternal life or immortality, I would probably accept it, because I'm curious to see what the world will be like in 50 years, 100 years or even 200 years from now. Plus, I would be able to help many people who are suffering and accumulate good karma during my unlimited lifespan. I agree that it probably would get really boring at times and you would have to bury all of your loved ones eventually, but I suppose I could handle that responsibility.

10. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

Kind of strange because I was thinking about this a few days ago. When I was much younger (before the age of 13) I always wanted to be immortal, but now many years after so much emotional suffering and loneliness, there is absolutely no way I could choose to live for an eternity. The mental knowledge alone of knowing that no matter how severely depressed and suicidal I become, and knowing that I can't end it because I'd be immortal, would literally drive me to the brink of absolute insanity.

I'm already alone enough as it is, but knowing that I'd eventually be the only person left on the planet wouldn't work out very well.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I have suffered from ennui for many years now... Even if I learned everything I ever wanted to, I would still be bored forever.

12. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

One lifetime is more than enough, thank you...

13. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I used to desire the same thing as a youth.

My thing with being immortal is if I had needs and wants met no matter what, I could (at least) control my depression and sadness to a degree without having to worry about other things would help.

The trouble is like the one poster stated---losing loved ones. How do you accept that constantly when you are attached to them so much? I'm a deep well, and while I don't bond easily to people, when I do it is almost too strong. I have a very difficult time letting go. I'm bad at it, actually.

14. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

The only reason we appreciate things is because we know that one day we wont be around anymore. I read a book once about an Immortal couple, nicholas flamel or something. It's based on a real person but he wasn't an immortal :laugh:. Just people thought they saw the married couple from france throughtout the centuries(they were born in the 14th century). At one point in one of the books he says that immortality is a curse. When you think about it, it is...because you can't really get emotionally attached to anyone because you KNOW they will eventually die. You will keep existing while you watch them slowly grow old. The fact that you wouldn't be able to die would basicly drive me insane. I'd probly end up killing half a country and so on :unsure:. Or secluding myself somewhere so no one could find me. Or I would be the guardian of my family. And just watch over them as they grow old and make things slot into place for them so everything works out for them :). In a way that's ok. But I would just get so hartbroken watching my entire family eventually die.

In the end, humans were ment to live and then subsequently die. You can't have life without death :sad:.

15. pepepecas

pepepecas New Member

Kind of ironic question for a suicide forum...

16. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

For me the problem is what happens when life on earth becomes extinct, then what? you'll have nothing to do and if you can't find away to get off earth by the time it's swallowed by the sun, you'll be stuck living on the sun, which i imagine wouldn't be very fun. I would only take immortality if i knew i had the ability to travel around the universe, so i don't get stuck in one place, but then i'd have to ask myself, what would happen when the universe comes to an end?

17. Incurious

Incurious Well-Known Member

Not a chance. That would be my definition of Hell.

Death is underrated, and will be greeted like an old friend when my time comes.

18. Moat

Moat Banned Member

The prospect once intrigued me, but I grew up and found that everyone is given a set amount of time to live. If you live forever, then it would be rather tedious, when you have thought every thought, spoken every word, experienced everything there is, meet everyone you could possibly meet and discover every secret life as well as the Universe has to offer.

My thirty (one) years of life is more than enough to satisfy me.

19. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

There's no time for us
    There's no place for us
    What is this thing that builds our dreams yet slips away
    from us

Who wants to live forever
    Who wants to live forever....?

There's no chance for us
    It's all decided for us
    This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us

Who wants to live forever?

Who dares to love forever?
    When love must die

But touch my tears with your lips
    Touch my world with your fingertips
    And we can have forever
    And we can love forever
    Forever is our today
    Who wants to live forever?
    Forever is our today

Who waits forever anyway?

That sum it up for me

20. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

Please stop joking. This is a deadly serious forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.