• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Ideas & Opinions If You were God....

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
If you were God, what kind of world would you make? At first I felt hesitant about posting this because I don't want to cause any religious disputes. But on second thought, I think it's alright as long as we don't attack any religions. So hopefully any respondents will tactfully avoid any religious attacks.

The answer to the question is Not as simple as it seems. In other words, I don't want an answer that simply says you want a world without any suffering. It has to be much more detailed than that. Because there is the matter of people hurting people. NObody wants to see people hurting each other. But the thing is that at the same time we realize that we want everybody to have Free Will, and with that Free Will also comes the choice of Disagreements--that each person wants something that somebody else hates, and everybody has different goals which often conflicts with someone else's goals.

Love itself is Not the answer. Because what if somebody has an infatuation, a crush on somebody, but that other person does Not like the person at all. Let's face it, that person is entitled to reject the other person, and the result is suffering. Or a bf and gf can have a relationship which lasts a couple of months, but then they get into a fight, so then the relationship ends, which results in one of them suffering heartbreak. And yet this is Unavoidable because a good God would want to give people Free Will, but that's what causes suffering.

When seen in that light, suffering is Unavoidable. BUT I believe a good God would prevent earthquakes and hurricanes which kill thousands of nice people. I don't know why a good God cannot prevent earthquakes and hurricanes. The two possible answers are (1)he is Not all-powerful and cannot prevent those catastrophes, or (2)he's all-powerful and can prevent them but chooses not to.

So anyway I put the question to you--if You were God, what kind of world would you make?

Hm...funny you should pose this question because I've been struggling to write a book [series] for the past 5ish years and grappling with that exact question in the process.

Hurricanes and Earthquakes, while devastating, do have their place in the world of nature outside of the sphere of humanity's wellbeing. Earthquakes are a result of tectonic plate movement, and hurricanes form from a buildup of pressure and moisture in the atmosphere. In order to be a "good" god in the sense that you serve the interests of humankind, you'd have to sacrifice parts of nature like that, which will likely cause different challenges for them to face in the long run. Conversely, though, if you want to be a "good" god in that you create some fantastical and intricately-working world like ours, you're going to have to sacrifice some of your living creations like humans at one point or another.

It's a loaded question for sure and one I wonder if any actual gods, should they be real, grapple with from time to time.
For now I think I'll stick to being a 'god' of my own fictional worlds though haha

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Hm...funny you should pose this question because I've been struggling to write a book [series] for the past 5ish years and grappling with that exact question in the process.

Hurricanes and Earthquakes, while devastating, do have their place in the world of nature outside of the sphere of humanity's wellbeing. Earthquakes are a result of tectonic plate movement, and hurricanes form from a buildup of pressure and moisture in the atmosphere. In order to be a "good" god in the sense that you serve the interests of humankind, you'd have to sacrifice parts of nature like that, which will likely cause different challenges for them to face in the long run. Conversely, though, if you want to be a "good" god in that you create some fantastical and intricately-working world like ours, you're going to have to sacrifice some of your living creations like humans at one point or another.

It's a loaded question for sure and one I wonder if any actual gods, should they be real, grapple with from time to time.
For now I think I'll stick to being a 'god' of my own fictional worlds though haha
You said that if God eliminates earthquakes and hurricanes, then it would result in different problems for humans. What problems??

I would create a perfect Karmic cycle which rewards good deeds and punishes bad ones and an unlimited amount of rebirths. If someone gets tired of life and wants to take a break for thousands of years before their next birth, they can.
As god I would communicate to the people that such a system exists so that they know things are going to be good in the next life, even if things are screwed up in this one.

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
I shall make light, for there must be hope for me to navigate through the surrounding darkness. It is, for the first day.
I shall make a place for me to stay, a safe place for me whenever I am tired from all the navigation. It is, for the second day.
I shall make decorations for my place, plants grown from clay pots with a need of daily watering. The plant grows its leaves, its flowers bloom and then fruits. It is, for the third day.
I shall make decorations outside my place, beacons for safer trips back home. It is, for the fourth day.
I shall make pets, which are meant to be my companions in the navigation. It is, for the fifth day.
I shall make children, whom I will told about my experience with the darkness and whom I will entrust to take care of my pets, my plants, my decorations and my home. It is, for the sixth day.
After all these creations, I shall need a day to have a good rest. It is, for the seventh day.

I shall make light, for there must be hope for me to navigate through the surrounding darkness. It is, for the first day.
I shall make a place for me to stay, a safe place for me whenever I am tired from all the navigation. It is, for the second day.
I shall make decorations for my place, plants grown from clay pots with a need of daily watering. The plant grows its leaves, its flowers bloom and then fruits. It is, for the third day.
I shall make decorations outside my place, beacons for safer trips back home. It is, for the fourth day.
I shall make pets, which are meant to be my companions in the navigation. It is, for the fifth day.
I shall make children, whom I will told about my experience with the darkness and whom I will entrust to take care of my pets, my plants, my decorations and my home. It is, for the sixth day.
After all these creations, I shall need a day to have a good rest. It is, for the seventh day.
Nice ! Did you write it yourself ?

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Oh, God! . . (i'd say, nol BEG): "Kill me now!!!!" Or~ better yet!! Make it so that I never would've had to have been born; in the absence of THAT! (then just have let my plans go through a dozen years ago--or so?) ( ; ...so, Y-ea-h.!(; "no biggie!" :D just thinking of all the wreckage that could've/would've been avoided- ;)

Legate Lanius

Oh, God! . . (i'd say, nol BEG): "Kill me now!!!!" Or~ better yet!! Make it so that I never would've had to have been born; in the absence of THAT! (then just have let my plans go through a dozen years ago--or so?) ( ; ...so, Y-ea-h.!(; "no biggie!" :D just thinking of all the wreckage that could've/would've been avoided- ;)
I love your style of writing, I had never seen anything like it before coming to SF.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
I love your style of writing, I had never seen anything like it before coming to SF.
Yeah, well "Thank you!" I'll take the compliments, how ever backhanded (not that this may or may not be!) ;) they may or might be. . . & I guess--'twas feeling a lil' selfish there: should've probably started the list with World Peace & everything else. :) but some days, just nearly every.thing^ pisses u the ---- off..;) (so what can i say!) ;D

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Even one of my main nurses, who is apx. my same age, was commenting last week at how I was "scaring her," by the way I was sounding/& talking... (but I was really only imagining & everything; & primarily -- because it was her, and how comfortable I'd felt in confiding with her) even if it was all, or just in jest~ ;) She's one of those nurses who talks to you like you're her friend, if you know what I mean? And she's known me, for ...at least, or over (well) 4 years! :)

Legate Lanius

Yeah, well "Thank you!" I'll take the compliments, how ever backhanded (not that this may or may not be!) ;) they may or might be. . . & I guess--'twas feeling a lil' selfish there: should've probably started the list with World Peace & everything else. :) but some days, just nearly every.thing^ pisses u the ---- off..;) (so what can i say!) ;D
I genuinely like the writing style, nothing backhanded about it. It lifts my spirits a bit reading it since it's cheerful in nature and has a comedic element to it. Hope you didn't take it as a backhanded way of dissing it.

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
No, not at all..;) thank you for the lovely & kind words! You and your mind are indeed, "one of a kind!" And I mean that in the most complimentary way, possible. Especially or even more-so, given your age. . .

Yes, I wrote that while reading the first paragraphs of the Bible. I know I'm not a conventional believer.
It probably sound less heavier than how people normally preaching, don't you think?
Yes.It is not heavy. The theme of the poem was very simple and relatable. If you post more poems on here please tag me. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00