If you were poor...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Oct 30, 2010.

?

would you be ashamed to go and apply for assistance of any kind?

1. No, I'm not afraid to ask for help.

43.1%
  2. Some assistance I would, not all.

20.7%
  3. I would rather beg family and friends before I apply for public assitance.

3.4%
  4. No, I am afraid at how others may begin to see me.

5.2%
  5. I would do illegal things for cash before I apply for public assistance

8.6%
  6. I'd rather die than beg on the streets.

8.6%
  7. Others (please specify)

10.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

If you were poor, no money, nothing to sell, would you be ashamed to go and apply for assistance of any kind(food, financial, housing,etc)?

2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I applied and got financial help for my meds last year.
    I am not ashamed of it at all.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Honestly, I nearly turned to prostitution around February. :\ I'd at least be able to earn a living that way... My back is far too fucked to be able to work a regular job. Decided to swallow my pride and apply for government help instead of, well, swallowing less desirable things.

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I voted No..I've had to seek assistance quite a few times and am proud i did..
    there is no shame in needing help..

5. effervescentpsyche

effervescentpsyche Well-Known Member

Whenever I have money problems I usually call my dad. Public assistance has always been looked down on by my family and my husband.

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

i appklied so my kids could survive. had no choice. ashamed oh yeah big time. but i had to for the kids.

7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i would do anything to get help for my family support is there for a reason until i got well i would use that support then when i got well i would not

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, I would have accepted a drug plan whenever it was available to me, actually. I wouldn't have needed welfare except that I had spent thousands of dollars of my savings on prescription drugs.

9. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I already had to.
    It's not a big deal and I'm not planning to be on it forever.
    If I need some help to get back on my feet, I'll accept it.

10. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've had to do it; I'd rather apply for assistance than even consider asking my family.

11. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I find this really offensive.

12. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

My family has always stepped in and help without me even asking but I'll be applying for food stamps before the end of next month.

13. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

I would live in the wilderness and never meet people, if I was poor.

14. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

Ideally, if I was poor I'd steal a variety of items and then live out in the woods for a long while...

15. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

my psy signed papers for disability and so I get money from the government...the only time I'm a bit ashamed of it is when I talk to guys...I'm afraid they won't give me a chance if they knew where my money came from...I'm still poor mind you but at least I have a roof over my head and a bit of food...

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Why ?

17. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Just the implication that seeking social welfare/assistance is anything to be ashamed of.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's not implied here, that's implied in society. Many people, myself included, are reluctant to seek assistance because of a perceived stigma... This thread merely reflects that.

19. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I know, I doubt that the op was saying that. But 'I'd rather die than beg on the streets.' as one of the options, that did offend me. I think the op could have worded the question or options better, because someone might come away with the impression that seeking that kind of help is wrong or shameful.

Plus, maybe it's different in North America but I think over here, benefits and welfare is ingrained in our culture, I've met few people who harbour a real stigma towards it. If you need the help, what's wrong with asking for it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

People in North America drive around with bumper stickers reading "Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!"

What a lovely place. I'm very curious what happens when that kind of person loses their job...

Also, people have chosen "I'd rather die than beg on the streets" - I would...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.