I'll never be happy

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InnerStrength, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I look around me, and everyone seems so much better than me. I know I'll never be happy, why should I settle for being a loser? I'd rather not exist, at least that is something I could control. God dammit, why is life so frustrating and unfair! :sad:

2. onenineteen

onenineteen Antiquities Friend

I know all about comparing, I do it consciously and unconsciously every day. It's kinda crippling considering I walk to work in NYC seeing people walking on the street and thinking they are looking at me like I'm a freak.

Would you mind telling us a bit more about what you're feeling?

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Appearances aren't always what they seem. There really can be no comparisons of peoples issues.As individuals we each react to things differently. Things that may seem overwhelming to one person may be nothing to another. What is it you are dealing with that has you hurting?

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello Innerstrenth,
    I hope you find the answers to you questions here. This forum is supportive for you. Open up a little more so we have a better understanding of what has you down? Don't be afraid we are here for you!!
    You know you should seek help from a good therapist also. They are very helpfull to get you to face your negative thoughts. They will teach you coping skills. There are several people here that have already decided there illness will be with them the rest of there lives. I have accepted the fact that I am one of them. It doesn't magically get rid of your bad thoughts, you have to put forth an effort on your side also. I hope you seek the help you need soon..Take Care!!:chopper:!!

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Most of us are destined to live a pretty mediocre life. Only a small number of us will be rich and famous. There is nothing wrong with living a simple life. You just have to remember that happiness comes from within, not from what you own. :smile:

6. InnerStrength

Gee, thanks for the pick me up. Mediocrity, mmmm :p

And gentlelady, it's mainly because I'm alone. That life-status won't change anytime soon.

7. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Why do you believe that won't change? What obstacles do you face?

I can't really offer any sort of pep talk, since I feel much the same way. But I'm curious about your situation.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey innerstrength, Please don't give up hope that you will never be happy. Believing that everyone else is better than you indicates you have self esteem issues, maybe it would help you talked to a counselor? :hug:

9. InnerStrength

I've tried counselors (so to speak) they haven't really helped.

Aleth: My main obstacle is Social Anxiety, I hold down a part-time job but that is about it as far as interaction with people goes.

10. Petal

Have you tried anti anxiety medications? :hug:

11. InnerStrength

Yes...didn't really seem to help much :dry:

12. Petal

Which one did you try, if you dont mind me asking? :arms:

13. InnerStrength

Well, they were anti-depressants, but the doc said they also functioned as anti-anxiety as well. The list: Lexanpro, Celexa, Paxil, and GEODON, but the last was for...something else unrelated to anxiety.

14. Petal

I think you would benefit a lot from anti anxiety medication. I take celexa and used to take lexapro they are completely useless compared to benzodiazepines. My doctor also told me that celexa and lexapro work for anxiety, but I know from experience that they definitely dont(especially if the anxiety is severe). You should ask your doctor for xanax or valium, they work within 10-15 minutes and keep you really relaxed for hours. They help me a lot, but make me feel stoned:laugh: Its worth a try hun, dont give up :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  15. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Its really a tough problem to have to face. Its like a catch-22 situation, to improve your confidence in social situations you have to face them, and to face them you need more confidence.
    People might spout advise like just throwing yourself into more social situations as a cure, but than can really backfire if you do it wrong. More bad experiences will only sap your confidence and make your anxiety worse.

What have you tried for counselling? You said "so to speak."

16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

That is so true Aleth. People can say, 'just go out and meet some new people' but what if you get rejected? That would really hurt your self-confidence, especially if it is low already.

17. mazz

mazz New Member

hun, everyone goes through bad periods, I think we must, it shapes who we are, but just know that your time will come where you will be happy, it's just waiting for you around the corner.. :smile:

18. InnerStrength

Yeah, I just hope the xanax don't drastically effect my driving. Anyway, it's getting them prescribed that is the problem.

19. Petal

They probably will effect your driving as they make you drowsy. To get them prescribed just keep pushing your luck with the doctor, I sometimes refuse to cooperate with them if they dont prescribe it! I know its wrong, but why suffer so much when you really dont need to.

20. InnerStrength

In the meantime I have been self-medicating with alcohol. More than before. Wow, I'm a real winner :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.