I'm a grandma to 12 little rat-babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TG123

Not to get "religious" here, but I stand in awe of the Creator's skill in making all these different animals, for different purposes, and all made so differently. My little ratties like to smell my lips and will lick me if I've just eaten something they like. Their little whiskers tickle like mad but it feels so cute. Their whiskers are more than just a guidance system for not getting stuck in small places, they also 'hear' with them, picking up vibrations in the whiskers. Did you know that if they lose a whisker the one nearest the missing one will grow thicker, to make up for the lost one?

All animals have little miraculous things about them that put me in awe of their divine design, so to speak!:smile: The one thing that stands out, among all companion animals, and even some wild ones, is how far love and trust and good treatment can go. They know instinctively whom to trust, and once you have their trust it's a great gift which I treasure more than gold. Love may be a great thing, but trust is more important than love cause without trust, you cannot have love, not real love. True love is trusting completely the one who loves you, no matter what the species.

** special note to Ivy: the guinea pig we had years ago, named Davey, who lived past 8 yrs, was so tame he used to sleep next to me on the sofa, resting his head on my arm. He'd sleep there with me for as long as I laid there, completely at ease. He also used to lick me like a cat does to express affection. I love God's littlest creations!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:

least
Dear least,

You said it better than I could. Animals are definitely God's creation and they are a miracle, and I'm so glad you are finding this happiness in them! If you think about it, here is an example of how He loves you, having blessed you with the rats and a love for them. Many people would throw a screaming fit if they saw them, yet they give you happiness. I am so glad for you, leastofthese.
You are completely right about the love and trust thing, I used to have a dog and know how awesome it feels when your pet loves you and trusts you.

I am so happy for you, leastofthese!

God created you in His image and He loves you even more than you love your dear rat friends, even if it may sound hard to imagine. You are loved and worth much to Him.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
The formal name for my status is Rattus Norvegicus Grandmotherus!:laugh: And today, at the tender age of 3 1/2 wks, the babies are weaned - at least the boys are cause I separated the boys and put them up in their own big cage. Thought it was escape-proof but no sooner did I have them in there (there are six of each gender) than I turned around and two of the boys were sitting on top of the cage!:ohmy: So I had to cover a few little holes... they are very good escape artists and can make themselves very flat!:biggrin:

I'm pleased with myself that I accomplished this task in time... before the boys started 'hitting on' their mom.:dry: Mom and Auntie and six little girls are on their own now and seem happy with the extra space, now that the boys are in their own digs.:smile: Nice big clean cages for my little ratties... It took me half the day but at least it's done!! Hooray for me!:wink: :clap:

rattus grandmotherus, least

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Yay!!:biggrin: Two of the boys went to their new home about 20 miles away! The lady and her daughter came today to choose, and found two boys they fell in love with. I'm happy as hell that they will have a good home.:smile: We'll keep (permanently) two of the four remaining boys and two of the six remaining girls, and will keep all of them until good homes can be found, and if not, they'll stay with us. The boys like to have their little tummies rubbed, just like our beagirl!:smile:

least

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Ok, the babies are now 5 wks old and the boys and girls are in their own cages. I got a new cage and put mama Itchy and aunt Pippi in it by themselves, since the kids are now teenagers and able to live on their own - tho they do spend a lot of time play-fighting amongst themselves or partying. The boys spend a lot of time on their running wheel tho the girls won't even try it. Two days ago I had a bad feeling and counted the girls: instead of 6 there were only 4, so I had to look all over and finally found the prodigal daughters!:biggrin: I mended the little escape holes in their cage and hope they don't get out again...:unsure: Their cages are all equipped with a little bedroom, a wheel, a tunnel, and a second floor - so they won't be bored. I also play a radio in our "critter room" tuned to an NPR/classical music station so they are intellectually stimulated as well.

Still looking for good homes for some of the babies, but will keep them all, regardless of how long - for their entire lifespan if need be.

least, "rattus norvegicus grandmotherus":smile:

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Believe me Carolyn, if there was a safe humane way of shipping rats I'd send you two sisters - two is better than one as they keep each other company, especially when you're not there and also at night, when they are most active. You would absolutely love them as pets - they are so loving and clean and sweet and smart!:smile:

least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00