I'm a grandma to 12 little rat-babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I know this may not "float anyone's boat" but mine:smile: but when our little Merri ratgirl died Jan 4th I went out two days later and got two new females - two of them to keep each other company - and unbeknownst to me, the second one (gotten from a different store) was pregnant when we got her. Their gestation is only 3 wks:ohmy: and so she gave birth to 12 little pups on Jan 25th. They were two wks old yesterday and all eyes are open and they are running around and tumbling over each other in their eagerness to explore their home.:smile: We've been taking them out of the cage and socializing them, petting and holding and speaking gently to them. When they're young they're easily socialized and those kinds of babies make the best pets cause they're so tame and trusting and loving.

I never intended to have 14 rats for pets but will keep them all (genders separate) until good loving homes can be found for as many as possible. I am reminded of an ancient belief cited in John Steinbeck's book TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE. The belief states that if you interfere with the life of any living being, you then become responsible for that life. Itchy gave birth to her babies while in my care so I am responsible for her babies. I will only give them to loving homes, in same sex pairs for company, and none of them will ever be snake food.

I'm really excited and feeling very maternal when I look at them and handle them. ALL babies, no matter what species, cause my maternal hormones to go into overdrive - and I love watching them, as well as the loving care given them by their mother Itchy. Itchy's roommate, Pippi, is behaving like she's their aunt: she sleeps in the nest with them, washing them and keeping them warm with her company. Altruism is a personality trait not limited to human beings!:wink:

Well, that's all. Just wanted to share my multiple grandmotherism with my friends here! Proud grandma and all...:smile:

least, the rat-lover

they do make lovely companion animals given loving care.... and they don't hate me like my human kids do. how nice, an object for my affection that doesn't throw it back into my face!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwwwwww I use to have mices... :biggrin: All I have now is my Emma girlie, but thinking about getting a lil furpig :)

I am happy for you, Sooz!!! Rat babies, woooot! :hug:

-Carolyn - the furbabie lover :biggrin:

AlopexAngel

Chat Buddy
SF Supporter
Awwww! That is soo cute! I love animals, especially little baby ones. Can't say i've ever kept a rat but they do make great pets. I'm more of a reptile person myself but still love those little furry rats. Loves to you and yours!

Angel

TG123

I know this may not "float anyone's boat" but mine:smile: but when our little Merri ratgirl died Jan 4th I went out two days later and got two new females - two of them to keep each other company - and unbeknownst to me, the second one (gotten from a different store) was pregnant when we got her. Their gestation is only 3 wks:ohmy: and so she gave birth to 12 little pups on Jan 25th. They were two wks old yesterday and all eyes are open and they are running around and tumbling over each other in their eagerness to explore their home.:smile: We've been taking them out of the cage and socializing them, petting and holding and speaking gently to them. When they're young they're easily socialized and those kinds of babies make the best pets cause they're so tame and trusting and loving.

I never intended to have 14 rats for pets but will keep them all (genders separate) until good loving homes can be found for as many as possible. I am reminded of an ancient belief cited in John Steinbeck's book TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE. The belief states that if you interfere with the life of any living being, you then become responsible for that life. Itchy gave birth to her babies while in my care so I am responsible for her babies. I will only give them to loving homes, in same sex pairs for company, and none of them will ever be snake food.

I'm really excited and feeling very maternal when I look at them and handle them. ALL babies, no matter what species, cause my maternal hormones to go into overdrive - and I love watching them, as well as the loving care given them by their mother Itchy. Itchy's roommate, Pippi, is behaving like she's their aunt: she sleeps in the nest with them, washing them and keeping them warm with her company. Altruism is a personality trait not limited to human beings!:wink:

Well, that's all. Just wanted to share my multiple grandmotherism with my friends here! Proud grandma and all...:smile:

least, the rat-lover

they do make lovely companion animals given loving care.
I'm a guy and I usually don't say awww..., but that is really cool, leastofthese! I love animals and have had fish and a cat and a dog. Never had rats, but they must rock too!

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Not to get "religious" here, but I stand in awe of the Creator's skill in making all these different animals, for different purposes, and all made so differently. My little ratties like to smell my lips and will lick me if I've just eaten something they like. Their little whiskers tickle like mad but it feels so cute. Their whiskers are more than just a guidance system for not getting stuck in small places, they also 'hear' with them, picking up vibrations in the whiskers. Did you know that if they lose a whisker the one nearest the missing one will grow thicker, to make up for the lost one?

All animals have little miraculous things about them that put me in awe of their divine design, so to speak!:smile: The one thing that stands out, among all companion animals, and even some wild ones, is how far love and trust and good treatment can go. They know instinctively whom to trust, and once you have their trust it's a great gift which I treasure more than gold. Love may be a great thing, but trust is more important than love cause without trust, you cannot have love, not real love. True love is trusting completely the one who loves you, no matter what the species.

** special note to Ivy: the guinea pig we had years ago, named Davey, who lived past 8 yrs, was so tame he used to sleep next to me on the sofa, resting his head on my arm. He'd sleep there with me for as long as I laid there, completely at ease. He also used to lick me like a cat does to express affection. I love God's littlest creations!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:

least

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Ooh Least your guinea sounds like my guinea Weet Weet. He was so attached to me that when I came in from work he used to run down the hall making that weeting noise that they do as a greeting.
He was always on my lap or in my sleeve and went everywhere I went (he's been on holiday all over the UK).

He was the best little friend a body could have, he died in my arms at the ripe old age of 10 (a good age for a guinea) and I miss him.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I only wish that I were as good a mother as little Itchy is. I never hear her complaining on the maternal constraints on her time - she does her motherly duties and does them without thinking or whining about them. Oh that I should be such a good mother.:sad:

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I've read that that can happen but generally only if the birth process was stressful or if some of the babies are grossly malformed or sickly. She's still a wonderful mother.:smile: Certainly has more patience than I have with mine, and she has twelve and I only have two!!!:ohmy:

Aww that's so sweet. Rats are such fantastic pets, although we were never allowed them, not sure why. We had mice though and the same sort of thing happened, we thought we had three males but actually one was female and pregnant so we soon had a house overun by mices :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00