I'm a mess

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by titanic, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I stopped drinking on Sunday. It's only been three days and I am a mess. I don't know that I can do this anymore.

2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes you CAN do this. You just have to do it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. And if you haven't consulted a doctor, it might be a good idea to do so as withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous. Drink lots of water and fruit juice and avoid caffeine. I drank my herbal calming/cleansing tea. (the main ingredient is chamomile) Hot showers help too. Please do speak with a doctor if at all possible. You should not have to go thru this alone. You need advice and support and often meds are prescribed to get you thru the first few days without having seizures or other bad results from the withdrawal. bEst of luck to you.

one who's been there, newly sober seven days - if I can do it, anyone can. It wasn't easy but I stuck with it.

3. titanic

Thanks for the encouragement. I was at the DR's yesterday discussing it. He asked if the detox cru had contacted me yet and they haven't. I've been waiting ages. I spoke to them once before and they annoyed me too.
    I have some detox tea and geen tea. I've just been and bought fruit juices and am going back on St Johns Wort.

It's hard going shopping and passing the booze, it's bloody hard. I can't get alcohol out of my mind. When I went to Woolworths yesterday, I found myself looking for liqueur chocs. It's real hell. I am craving so bad.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am currently taking a med called Campral (acamprosate calcium). It is supposed to help restore the proper chemcal balance in the brain that has been altered by alcohol. It also has some calming properties and helps eliminate cravings. Ask your doctor if you might benefit from it. I've been on it for seven weeks and I think it's helped me deal with the cravings. All the best to you. I care.

been there, still doing that, fighting the desire to drink.

It's hard for me too to get alcohol out of my mind but what I do when I have a desire to drink is tell myself I'm NOT going thru withdrawal anymore, and the only way to do that is to not drink again. That's a pretty good deterrent for me as each time I went thru withdrawal - again - it got worse. I'm not going there again!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  5. titanic

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Wow, you have taken on a huge battle and your sticking with it!!! I'm proud of you!!! The days ahead are going to be tough, but I truly believe you are tougher!! Try not to allow yourself idle time inthe next few days. Exercise, go for walks, go to movies or research some support groups that you can attend. When things get tough, keep reaching out here and with friends you that have. You dont have to do this alone. Give yourself a huge pat on the back you truly deserve it!!!

7. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

You've mad it 3 days, you CAN make it another. I had to quit drinking too, and I know all to well how hard it is to do things like shopping without gazing down the booze isle, it gets better I promise, I've not had a drink since Novemeber last year, I do have other addictions I need to deal with, but alcohol is not one of them. You also need to be aware that once one addiction is over, some people, like me, go on to replace it with another, it's called addiction transfer I think, or something like that. Addiction is a lie, it warps our minds into beleiving we cannot live without whatever it is we are addicted to, it takes great strengh to see beyond that, and from this post I think you have it. You have faced your problem, which is what hundreds of thousands of people cannot or will not do, and for that you deserve all the good things you can get in your life. When you feel up to it work out how much money you were spending on drink and plan all the good things you can do with that money, save it for a holiday, a new car, a trip out somewhere you've always wanted to go, anything you want, plan your life without the burdon of alcohol hon, because it's going to be good :smile:

8. matle000

matle000 Member

First of all sorry for my english.

I`m not dependent on alcohol but I have a slight a problem with drinking. Let me explain. Last Friday good friend of mine came home after some while he spent in other country at college. So we arranged a little party at his house and continued drinking in the city till late in the morning. My problem, is after I drink a lot of alcohol I can`t sleep for days. I haven`t sleep for days since that Friday. I also have big problems with sleeping without alcohol but drinking it makes it much worse :sad: It`s really effecting my psyche and also contributes to my suicide thoughts :sad: I`m getting all well known symptoms after my insomnia problem. I have tried everything to fall a sleep (training really hard at my gym in the morning, going for walk, running, taking hot bath before sleep, drink tea and so on )but nothing seems to work.
    I can`t write any longer, but I have so many issues on my mind right now, there is so much I wan`t to tell to to someone but there is no person I can share my thoughts with. I need serious help but I`m so scared please write me pm anyone I will tell u my story. I wan`t to start here in this forum to change my life till it`s too late. Till I kill my self:sad:

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I hope that you will won this battle!:hug:

10. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

You can do it hun, you are so strong!

You know where to find me if you ever need to chat. I know you can do it :hug:

11. titanic

Thanks everyone!

It'll be seven days tomorrow since my last drink. It's been hard. But I keep hoping and praying. A couple of times I have asked my partner to get me just one glass of vino but he resisted thankfully. The hot sweats and the shakes seem to have stopped now. I have increased my fluid intake also. Milk Thistle and Kudzu are good herbal remedies! And I am taking St Johns Wort (good for depression). Fingers crossed I last it out without resorting to alcohol anymore. I have been drinking fairly heavy for 16 years and in recent years I have more and more often started drinking earlier in the day, including starting in the morning. Last week I drank through my course lesson (no one realised) but this week was bad when without alcohol I had a panic and walked out the lesson. But fortunately, the tutor was very understanding.

Thank you all once again for your supportive words of encouragement and the tips! It really got me thinking actively about how I'm gonna beat this. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

You have made it for three days. Just three more, and its over. Everything will be much easier than.

13. titanic

Seven days tomorrow (Sunday)! :biggrin:

It's gonna take a few months at least I recon till the temptation ceases.

14. touglytobeloved

Ups! :) i just read three days, i didnt saw it says sunday and I didnt saw the date when the thread was made. How do you feel today, after these seven days?

15. titanic

Better thanks! :smile: Although I still think about alcohol a lot. Tonight I poured a glass of orange juice and craved for vodka to be in it. And I got cross with my other half because he has his fags and I feel like I have nothing but a boring existence without alcohol. But at least I'll have my health in the long run. I do not like being sooo drunk that I cannot get up in the morning, or the fact that the acidity's been rotting away at my teeth, or the bad back where my kidneys are etc.

I'm gonna cheer myself up, we have ordered an indian take away. I'd like a nice Indian beer with it, but I am concerned it won't stop there. I won't stop drinking forever, I just need to get over the dependency and then I can think about alcohol in moderation and limited to social occasions or dining out.

16. touglytobeloved

And why are you drinking? Any specific reason?

17. touglytobeloved

Or its better if i ask:
    Why were you drinking?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.