I'm apparently a "challenge", lol.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Jan 20, 2012.

1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

My therapist wasn't there today, I guess she had something come up. So, in an attempt to not completely have wasted my time, I saw another one. She ended up saying I was a "challenge", which is basically just a nice way of saying "Yeah, I highly doubt anyone will be able to fix what you are". And I knew that already...but didn't really need it thrown in my face. I don't really understand why anyone would say that to a patient in the first place. And the other thing that got me was that I mentioned I often project my thoughts, feelings, and behaviors onto other people and she said that I seem know a lot of "terminology" as though I had just explained something extremely intelligent and complex. On what planet is that, in any way, unusual for someone to know? Especially since I had previously explained that I was a psychology major. Am I supposed to be a total idiot just because I'm mentally ill or what?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't think that the therapist should have talked to you like that at all. That was really unprofessional of her to do and she shouldn't go around making assumptions about people. Maybe she felt intimidated by the fact that you know so much about psychology. If your therapist isn't there the next time, or any other time, then you can choose not to see the other therapist. They are supposed to help you, not make you feel worse about yourself. I really think she was in the wrong and you shouldn't feel bad because of her ignorance.

3. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Agreed that was very unprofessional of the therapist to do that or talk to you like that... Therapists are suppose to remain neutral and help you. I'll agree with Christy that maybe the therapist felt intimidated or threatened because you knew so much about psychology. I agree and they are suppose to help you and not make you feel worse... So, overall sounds like this appointment was a bust because the therapist was not a help at all.

Trevor,

4. Witty_Sarcasm

I think it's good that you do know so much about psychology...it helps give you a better understanding of the illnesses you have. I wish that I knew more about psychology, but being on this site helps give me a little understanding. At least here you won't be judged or talked down to. I think that's one reason I'm apprehensive about seeing a therapist, the fear they might treat me like I'm stupid or crazy.

5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Thanks to everyone for agreeing, nice to know it's not just me.

I was definitely annoyed with her right from the beginning. I even told her specifically why I was there, tried to make her job a bit easier, instead of having her sit there and force words out of me. I specifically asked her to work with me on some DBT skills because I'm diagnosed Borderline. She was like "Well, since I'm not your regular therapist, let's just talk for today. I don't want to interfere with the treatment you're already getting". I told her she wouldn't be interfering with anything because me and my regular therapist usually "just talk" as well (which by the way I was getting sort of tired of and was going to suggest to focus more on DBT, rather than how my day was going). But, she totally disregarded that and ended up making me tell her my life story, even though in reality she didn't care to know it and I didn't care to tell it. I mean, hell, why not just say, "You know what, I'm sorry, I don't specialize much in DBT and am not the right person to help you with that". I would have understood. But instead, she shunned away my concerns and insisted on doing it her way in order to seem like she knew all about DBT, and simply didn't feel "right" discussing it. Lol. Fucking people.

She was also one of those therapists who ask you how you "feel" about certain things. "How do you feel when your mother upsets you?" Well, let's see, if she's upsetting me, then I feel...oh, I don't know...upset?

I am SO going to make a better therapist than most of these people when I graduate. I mean, really, what's there to compete with?

6. Witty_Sarcasm

She should have helped you regardless, since it is her job to help, being a therapist and all. She sounds like she doesn't much know what she's doing. It sounds more like you were teaching her in a way. I'm sure that you will make a better therapist than her, because you actually will care about your patients feelings and not disregard anything they have to say.

7. Tmacster1

Therapists are suppose to help and not cause more problems... Your therapist should of been more of a help, but sometimes that's not how the cookie crumbles sadly. She may not like her job anymore, or she forgot what she needed to do to help you... Therapists are suppose to listen to you and ask some questions to make you think. Other than that they completely focus on you, and typically give support. I'm sure you'll find another therapist who's more caring and will be there for you. :hug:

Trevor,

8. AsphyxiateOnMisery

I'm pretty sure my regular therapist will understand my concerns about what I want to focus on when I get to talk to her again. She's pretty decent overall, better than all the others I've had.

9. Tmacster1

That's good than, at least your regular therapist will understand your concerns. At least you rate her as decent overall because that's better than poor rate overall. Hopefully she'll help you - and listen to you because it seems like she understands your concerns. Hope your night goes well :hug:

Trevor,

10. RossInZona

RossInZona Active Member

Reading your post reminded me of a similar situation in which a counselor once told me that intellectuals are very difficult (if not impossible) to treat. I can see how those in the mental health field would feel that way, especially when one looks at the history of that profession and how mentally ill people were treated in previous eras. That field is rife with egotistical control freaks who prefer those who are not intellectuals, as they're easier to control and manipulate.

Having worked in social services myself, I have found that it's necessary to screen out certain personality types who gravitate towards this field, just because it gives them a thrill to have power over vulnerable people. That's how abuse occurs.

11. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Yes, I know that it's easier to treat people who are more easily manipulated. That's why I don't have much hope in getting better.