i'm clean...almost.. *may trigger*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by taranama, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

i just wanted to share with everyone that i've been cut free for the past 7 weeks and 2 days...i went cold turkey, but i might start seeing a counsellor soon... i went from every day to not at all in the space of 5 days and i'm doing really well on complete will power.....go me!

i used to cut every single day, but i was always careful about the depth and size of the cuts.. i had a severe problem, so much so that one time i remember i was at work, i used to be a butcher.. and my uniform required me to wear a white jacket. i had a really stressful day, people being complete twats to me and i was wasn't able to cope anymore..i slipped away to the toilet, and i went to work on my arm..i didn't realise at the time how badly i had done it though, and by the time i had gotten downstairs, it was clearly visable through the jacket...it was difficult to explain it to my immediate manager..lets just put it that way ;)

now, don't get me wrong, i'm not being arrogant about it...quite the opposite actually.. i mean.... if i can do it, (me!) then why can't you? i realise now that i don't need to cut. i needed a release.. and i found it in drawing and playing the guitar.. a hobby or something like that is a great way to take your mind off everything that's going on in your life!!

i hope that this has inspired at least someone to think about stopping.. if you ever need to talk please don't hesitate to pm me!

cheers guys..prob couldn't have done it without you all!
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Congratulations vicky on being cut free. Like other compulsive behaviour, it can be difficult to give up cutting. Well done and keep fighting the urge to cut.
  3. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

Nice to know you are getting control over it. :smile:
    We are all happy for you! :grouphug:

I think that in the moment someone feels like cutting, they could perhaps benefit from giving meditation a chance. It can calm body and mind down considerably.

Simply just find a silent undisturbed place, sit comfortably, preferably in something close to a lotus position, close your eyes, and breath deeply in and out with a determined but gentle fine breath. :cloud9:
    Two alternative forms of applying meditation when you are doing this, is the following:

1. For relaxation and self-control.
    The point here is to think about nothing. If anything, think about your breath, but even this should come automatically eventually. Every time your mind gets impulses, remember to disregard them and get back to a clear mind.
    Meditate like this for 5 minutes.
    Over time this could lead to great control over mind and body.

2. For relaxation and concentration.
    The point here is to focus on a object. Preferably a simple object, like a watch, a pen, a cup, or something similar. What you do is to think solely about the object and nothing else. Describe the object to yourself. Describe it's qualities, such as colour, size, use, properties, form, etc; and what you will notice is that before you know it, you have gone beyond thinking about the object and you have started to think about something else that was perhaps related to the original object in it's first link, but not in it's second link etc. In other words, your mind has drifted and digressed.
    So every time you catch yourself digressing, just go back to thinking (focus) about the original object again, and this sholud lead to greater concentration and focus, not just over time, but also immediatly afterwards.
    Meditate like this for 5 minutes.

Both methods works for a lot of people. But what benefits one, may not suit the other.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I agree with the meditation suggestion. I've been meditating before going to sleep, for the past 7 years and it has helped me considerably. It has made me into a better person overall and people love being around me now. I'm a lot more social now too, and women like being around me too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.