im depressed

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by plainSuicide, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plainSuicide

plainSuicide New Member

i wanna die , i just wanna die cus all my life is all full of bulls**t , everything seems so pointless.
    could anyone tell me what is the meaning of life ?? if there is any ..

ps . whats up with all there happy and clourful emoticons ?? this is sposed to be a suicide forum or what?? -.-

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The meaning of life is different for everyone, but people can find their own.

Has anything happened to make you feel so bad?

Laughter and bright colours is ok on a forum like this. We may feel bad but that doesn't mean we also don't want to have fun or laugh or make friends or generally be distracted away from our wretchedness. Its a normal part of life and its a normal part of this forum too.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

you want sadness the pain to stop you don't want death it brings nothingness you want healing and happiness with therapy and meds it can happen really it can

4. Soul of a Dragon

Soul of a Dragon Well-Known Member

Mine is Hope and Helping people.
    We would like to know what happened to you.

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi. The meaning of life is different for everyone. What gives one person's life meaning won't give someone else's life meaning. You have to find what will give your life meaning and do what you have to do to accomplish this. For me, being a teacher and helping people gives meaning to my life. What sort of things interest you? :hug:

6. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Well, if you have to ask "What is the meaning of life?" then most people will assume you're depressed or a philosophy major in college.

What is meaning? To live well. To prosper. That's what Spock said.

That's my theory. The worse you do at living well and prospering, the closer to suicide you get.

But what about depression? Would that make asking this question irrelevant?

Here is a recent study about depression and whether meds help:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/st...s-placebos-equally-effective/story?id=9486601

Another one:
    http://www.newsweek.com/2010/01/28/the-depressing-news-about-antidepressants.html

And another:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Brits-NOT-work-major-new-study-reveals.html

So latest research is suggesting that, unless you have severe depression, meds are about as effective as a placebo. You may be better off seeing a therapist, or exploring alternatives to medications. They're expensive too, unless you can get health insurance or help from the government.

Get out of your head and into life, they say, but it's not easy for people suffering.

Before I was aware of this research, I knew that about 30% to 50% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepressant - "Efficacy limitations and strategies") of sufferers showed no response at all to medication. This latest research shows that a positive response was seen from both the meds and the placebo. The change was when the sufferers had a severe form of it. In that case, the meds had an appreciable benefit. That's how it changes what I already knew.

Now, I hope i've established that depression itself is still not well understood because it's both misdiagnosed (in one example I saw 25% over-diagnosis) and difficult to treat (30% to 50% do not respond, but this could be old data).

So, even if you do have depression, I do not feel it's wrongheaded to ask "What is the meaning of life?" and to expect reasoned responses. My question is, are you seriously asking that question or simply telling us you want to die.

Keep in mind you're asking this on a suicide forum. I realize you're looking for reasons to live, in all likliehood. I don't feel I can give you those reason. All I can do is hold up my hand like the Vulcans in Star Trek and wish you the best. Anybody who asks "What is the meaning of life?" is opening a can of worms. But I wouldn't be afraid to ask it. Most people try to avoid it, though.

7. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

The meaning of life to me is this: To learn the truth about our creator, and our purpose. My faith answers both of these things for me. :hug: hang in there. I am sure once you search all possible avenues, you too will find the truth. Blesings..

8. dark&lone

dark&lone Well-Known Member

The meaning for life varies for eveyone as people above have described, but whats your meaning of life? what do you want from it that isnt satisfying you at the moment. We are our own downfall but we are also our own gratifying creatures as well... In english, basically we can change things to make them worse or better, some things aint our fault, however each situation we have the choice to run a way from or face it and see it at the other side.

Fear is an illussion, when it knocks on the door we open it to realise we are staring only at ourselves. We can all try and run and hide, heck Ive tried plenty, yet Im still here. Why? I dont know, but I believe I am here for a reason

Have faith
    PLease dont kill yourself

Dark&lone

9. Soul of a Dragon

Soul of a Dragon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.