I'm going to try losing weight for the first time since high school

just_me_again

When I was in high school, I was very self conscious and I think I wanted to lose weight for all the wrong reasons. Wanting to look pretty in a bikini, wanting the body that I thought boys were attracted to, and in general wanting to meet a standard of beauty set in my brain. I went about it in very unhealthy ways though. Since then, I've gotten more confident in myself, do feel like I'm pretty, and have rsa boyfriend that I've had for almost a year that thinks I look amazing.
This isn't about looks.
I want to be a healthier person. I want to exercise three times a week, start doing yoga, and eat healthier and less junk food all the time. It's hard when you're in college, but I'm going to try to do all those meal prep things and eat at the salad bar in the dining halls at school next semester. I'm also going to start going to the gym once the doctor clears me (I'm recovering from pneumonia) and the gyms aren't so crowded.
My weight loss goal is 40lbs in a year. From what I've researched, it's reasonable and doable.
The only part I'm not looking forward to is having to buy new clothes.
What's everyone else's goals? That's if you feel like sharing, that is.

may71

I want to be a healthier person
Good for you, that's the right reason

Giving up sugar worked for me. I can either have no sugar, or binge on sugar, can't do anything in between.

I'm anti-raw salad. I've been trying to follow traditional Chinese dietary therapy, which (generally) recommends eating all food lightly cooked and served warm. I don't even drink cold or cool water anymore.

I've lost about 10lbs since October, when I quit sugar. I'm hoping to lose another 15-20, but I'm not really fixed on a particular number. I figure if I just try to live in a healthy way, I'll be whatever weight I should be.

BlueTyger

Hey just, sounds awesome! Glad that you grew more confident and that you're doing this for your self. Best of luck and keep fighting!

Take care ~Blue

Petal

SF dreamer
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
How is it working out for you? Hoping your plan is going well for you. Keep us updated :)

Shannew

YAS LOVE, LETS DO IT TOGETHER!
I think the hardest part is consistency - not giving up after inevitably going off track.
Writing down the goal and a specific time and place has been scientifically proven to help e.g. I will go to the gym at 7pm on Monday (called implementation intentions if you want to look that up!)
Goodluck! :D

Laura79

It sounds like you have a good plan in place. You can do it!! I am also going to try and lose some weight and get healthier. I went to my doctor and he prescribed me contrave to help in the process. I think for me it’s about not giving up because I like to see results quickly and let’s face it losing weight doesn’t happen overnight. I am actually excited to buy new clothes because I feel I will be able to wear cuter things that I don’t feel comfortable in right now due to my weight and it’s definitely going to help with my confidence. I am trying to focus on myself right now and make some changes because I usually put myself last and it’s not really working out very well. I got my hair done yesterday. Last time I was in a salon was July. It made me feel good. I went to the doctor and got back on my antidepressant and anxiety medication. I just want to feel better and losing weight, excercising and eating healthier hopefully will put me on right track. The one thing that is going to be hard is giving up pop or at least cutting down. I am a huge Mountain Dew drinker!!! Good luck to you keep us posted on how things are going.

DrownedFishOnFire

Seeing is Believing
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Good for you, that's the right reason

Giving up sugar worked for me. I can either have no sugar, or binge on sugar, can't do anything in between.

I'm anti-raw salad. I've been trying to follow traditional Chinese dietary therapy, which (generally) recommends eating all food lightly cooked and served warm. I don't even drink cold or cool water anymore.

I've lost about 10lbs since October, when I quit sugar. I'm hoping to lose another 15-20, but I'm not really fixed on a particular number. I figure if I just try to live in a healthy way, I'll be whatever weight I should be.
Interesting POV on cooking food slightly. Thought some raw foodies say cooking food destroys the nutrition in the food itself. Interesting approach

I am in the same boat about sugar. Am trying to kick sugar to the curb at the moment and finding out I even cant have some as I will binge on it as of late. Slowly adding water into my fluid intake and trying to kick pop for good.

may71

Interesting POV on cooking food slightly
I guess I would say lightly cooked rather than slightly cooked
Thought some raw foodies say cooking food destroys the nutrition in the food itself
The raw food diet and traditional Chinese dietary therapy are not in agreement about what's good to eat

I think the view that raw foods have higher vitamin content is probably correct in most cases (though I think cooked carrot may have more vitamin A). The traditional Chinese perspective though is that the nutrient content of food is not the only consideration.

Cooking food makes it easier to digest, and this is thought to make it superior to raw foods. Overcooking would be bad too though, as it might destroy too many nutrients. And certainly, a food that is not eaten soon after it has been cooked, or that has been refrigerated after it's cooked, or had chemicals added to it is considered "wrecked" from this perspective.

Likewise, anything consumed cold would be bad too. While there would be no difference in nutritional content between cold water and warm water, warm water would be considered good and cold water bad.

I guess ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. If you are following a raw food diet now, you might want to try eating the same foods lightly cooked for a while, and see if that makes any difference.

I should mention that there are some cases where eating cold and raw foods would be recommended. Such cases are rare though, and would only apply if someone is in generally very good health and is highly energetic, but has symptoms like headaches and conjunctivitis.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$455.00
Goal
$255.00