im guilty about my parents

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

i want to change my course. my parents are supportive about my decision but im feel guilty because this is another frustration for them. i dont know if i should follow my dreams with guilt feelings or stay in my course for the sake of them.

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'd say you should follow your dreams if your parents are fine with it. If they aren't, try your best and have a chat with them about it. I think it would be a lot better for you to live your dreams and do something you really want to do instead if being stuck in the same thing you dont necessarily want to do.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

your parents would be happy to see you follow your dreams. that is what i am encouraging mine to do. Get into a place that makes you happy and what interest you Go for it.

4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

As a parent let me reassure you that having kids gurantees a lot of things and 2 of those things are frustration and many many changes of heart and mind. Go with what you need and want. Your parents may seem frustrated, and for the moment they may actually be. But it is something they know they face being parents. Part of the job description (lol). They will get over it. The one thing that all parents deeply want is for their kids to be happy. To be able to have better lives than they did. So I think your parents do support you and want to see you do this. As long as it is what you need and want. And not doing it for others, but yourself. Good luck.

5. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

I would say if you know what your dream is to follow it. You are a lucky person to figure it out. It takes courage to follow your dreams. And as a mother I just want my child to be happy. Even if it is not excatley what I would want them to do. It is not my life it is hers. I agree your parents maybe frustrated right now but they will get over it.

6. papertiger

papertiger Member

I agree with what was said, if you know what you want, go for it. It's okay to live for yourself.
    I feel the same guilt because I feel like I wasted my parents' money while I was lost and depressed in college, but they still supported me even though it meant starting from the beginning again. When I'm feeling guilty, I remind myself they'd rather see me happy doing something I enjoy than depressed and suicidal.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I say go for it.. My daughter always wanted to do hair.. So she went to school for it and is making good money..I would have chosen a different path for her, but that is what made her happy.. Plus with the recession people still need there hair cut so it hasn't affected her customer s coming in,..

8. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

thank you for the responses. when i woke up today. i heard that my mother told to my father that she has a friend who has a problem in financial. my mother advices her that she's lucky because her son is interested in studying. unlike some children. i feel guilty since yesterday about my plan to shift and then i heard this story. im throwing things in dining, said bad words to my parents because they cant understand what im saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.