I'm have a very odd probelm i need some advice

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by honsou, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honsou

honsou Well-Known Member

These past 2 days were really good for me and you have all been so supportive. But it also brought up a big problem of mine that i have never really expressed to anyone. When I'm happy, i really have no idea what to talk about, my mind feels so empty that its just hard to talk to people. It's almost like i can only talk to people when I'm sad, hell the only times I've ever really made friends is when I'm sad and someone comes to help me. Its very odd, I've never made friends when I'm happy. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice?
  2. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

maybe if you found something to do that made you happy, a sport or hobbie or something, and then find people who like the same thing it would make a good conversation starter?
  3. timezone

timezone Member

so here is how it kinda works.
    2 people talk about stuff they are both interested. that is how a conversation "naturally" develops. You make friends when you are sad probably because you like, (and you are good at) talking about being sad. And those people like to listen

However making small talk is a skill, and you can get good at it by practicing. Some people are born talkers, but most of us can learn. My advice is for you to start popping conversation everywhere. Lines, bus stops, everywhere you have you plus another human being. Make comments about the weather, the shoes, anything. You will see that in no time you will get good at prolonging interesting conversations.
  4. honsou

honsou Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, a lot of the times anxiety gets in the way of making small talk because I'm afraid of making my self look stupid. But your right, practicing small talk can help me i hope. It's just really hard to do this, oh well this fall i start college again and hopefully i can really try to change my self for the better
  5. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

jesse u are making progress every day.well done
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.