I'm having bad luck with Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicsFan

I'm on Facebook, and I've just been having nothing but bad luck with it lately.

People are declining my friend requests, they aren’t accepting them right away, and they aren’t responding to my messages.

What is going on?

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni

People are declining my friend requests, they aren’t accepting them right away, and they aren’t responding to my messages.

What is going on?
Hello @ClassicShowsFan how are you doing now?
You know, Facebook isn’t all that great. Myself and my partner didn’t have it for 6y but I only got it back to keep up to date with the school group chat and stuff that’s happening on that. If it wasn’t for my oldest starting school I probably still wouldn’t have it. It drives me bonkers. People not accepting friend requests really does suck. I have my own family members who have accepted my partner but not me. That’s ridiculous. But hey, guess I’m not as likeable as him *huh oh well. I don’t overly rate Facebook all that much, try not let it get to you too much. Everyone is fake on these social media sites. We try to live up to others on these social media sites when in reality their life is just as shit as everyone else’s, but they chose to only show the glamorous parts.
Sorry for ranting I hope you feel better soon :)

I wouldn't take it personally. Easier said than done, but there's all sorts of reasons people don't respond/reply straight away, they could have their own stuff they're busy with, be in a bad place mentally, not seen your messages, etc etc. And if they are intentionally ignoring you then they aren't worth it. Social media is toxic at making us feel bad about ourselves when really it isn't an accurate representation of our worth. Sorry you're having a crap time *hug

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter

What is going on?
I'm sorry you're having bad luck with it right now. You know people don't accept requests for all kinds of reasons. I don't accept requests from anyone I don't know. If they aren't people you know they might feel the same way. The slow responses could be for all kind of reasons. I realized the other day I had a request from a long long time ago I'd never responded to. Wasn't anything personal, I just didn't see it at the time. Messages on Facebook it's hit or miss if I see them. Even people really really close to me can attest to me not answering a message on FB for a really long time. I don't seem to see them and I don't know why that is. So people might not be not responding on purpose. Doesn't make it feel better in your mind, but that's my take.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I agree with Nick. Some people may not see or check requests or messages for a while. I am pretty boring on FB with perhaps 20 people on list a few former fellow employees, family, friends from high school. One thing to consider is even if they do get on regularly they may have things set to private and possibly with filters that screen out many messages sent or requests sent.

ClassicsFan

I'm sorry you're having bad luck with it right now. You know people don't accept requests for all kinds of reasons. I don't accept requests from anyone I don't know. If they aren't people you know they might feel the same way. The slow responses could be for all kind of reasons. I realized the other day I had a request from a long long time ago I'd never responded to. Wasn't anything personal, I just didn't see it at the time. Messages on Facebook it's hit or miss if I see them. Even people really really close to me can attest to me not answering a message on FB for a really long time. I don't seem to see them and I don't know why that is. So people might not be not responding on purpose. Doesn't make it feel better in your mind, but that's my take.
Thank you.

Someone on a Facebook help group that I'm on said that the reason why people aren’t accepting my friend requests is that they don’t know me.

ClassicsFan

If someone friend requests me on Facebook and I don't know who they are, or I haven't interacted with them in some way, I decline. Also, if a person isn't your FB friend, the system sends your messages into either a filtered messages folder, or message requests. Those don't always show up unless you go looking for them.
That makes sense then.

ClassicsFan

I wouldn't take it personally. Easier said than done, but there's all sorts of reasons people don't respond/reply straight away, they could have their own stuff they're busy with, be in a bad place mentally, not seen your messages, etc etc. And if they are intentionally ignoring you then they aren't worth it. Social media is toxic at making us feel bad about ourselves when really it isn't an accurate representation of our worth. Sorry you're having a crap time *hug
Thanks.

Facebook is nothing but toxic, and I should’ve never even rejoined it again.

ClassicsFan

This is what someone said to me on another forum that I am on:

Repeated friend requests to a person is seen as harassment. Let them go if they choose not to reply.

Last edited:

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
This is what someone said to me on another forum that I am on:

Repeated friend requests to a person is seen as harassment. Let them go if they choose not to reply.
Yeah, that's true. Why are you trying to add people who you don't know? Are they in a group you are in or something? If so, I would interact with them there and if you get along ask them if they mind if you add them. Facebook isn't like twitter where you just follow whoever - I don't ever accept a request from someone who I don't know.

ClassicsFan

Yeah, that's true. Why are you trying to add people who you don't know? Are they in a group you are in or something? If so, I would interact with them there and if you get along ask them if they mind if you add them. Facebook isn't like twitter where you just follow whoever - I don't ever accept a request from someone who I don't know.
They're on forums and message boards that I'm on, but I will take your advice and ask them if they do or don’t mind if I add them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00