Im hiding inside the game

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Jacob SB, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

I feel so wortheless and thats what im told everyday by my parents so ive taken to hiding in my game for hours on end. Its become an adiction and i feel like the second i try to stop ill go futher under. I havent seen my friends in months and refuse to leave my house. Help me please

2. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site. It's easy to say but no one defines us. Not even our parents no matter how influential they are. What I mean by that is anyone can say you're something but that doesn't decide who you actually are. You are not worthless. When you say game, I assume you mean a video game- while a good distraction not exactly helpful, I'm guessing.

I hide out all the time. It seems like I've been hiding for ages. Some suggestions are to first - if you haven't been- start talking to your friends again. Your friends are there for you when no one else, not even family is, so it is a good idea to surround yourself by people who make you feel like you matter, because you do to them.

Although of course the issue can go deeper to your own self esteem, so if you can you might want to seek out a counselor to talk to about how you're feeling, etc to build up your on image of yourself. It seems that if you can't go outside, that really could be a serious issue and a professional would be able to help with that.

Other suggestions are to find hobbies that get you outside of the house. They don't necessarily have to be ones that have you interacting with people, but a walk perhaps, or creating art at some art center, etc. These are examples. If you have any other interests you can pursue those. Anything to get you out of the toxic environment inside of your own home. Anything to clear your head. Even if that means a five minute walk around the neighborhood.

These are of course just suggestions- ones that have at times helped me. If you would like to delve deeper into what plagues you, feel free. We are here for support and as a peer community.

Take care,

-Brittany

3. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

Thank you Brittany but Im not allowed to leave unless its for school. Otherwise im told "dont come back". I call them friends but theyre more like acquaintances i dont know how to approach them or how to re-connect with them. And yes i do know video-games are not the best but i dont what else to turn to

4. Brittless

Your parents don't allow you outside of the house at all, unless it's for school? I thought you refused to leave the house? any common interests would be a good start for re-connection. Video games perhaps? Can you ask your parents for allowances like seeing a friend? Or say I want to go for a walk?

This is weird to ask but are you grounded at the moment?

Whatever the case, this is a good place for interaction. If you want to practice interacting the real time chat is good here- and of course the forums which you are doing, so good. Of course it's not the same as real life but it's good for getting out of your own head and getting feedback from others. Sometimes we are too hard on ourselves.

5. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

Im sort of always grounded because shes afraid i might go out and do drugs so she doesnt let me leave unless its for school. And shes always saying that i cost too much and that she has no reason to keep me so i dont think i can ask for allowance but i did work so i have some money of my own

6. Brittless

Is that due to previous behavior? I didn't mean allowance like money but like asking to go out for an hour or something. It's good to have your own money. Gives you more autonomy. I'm sorry that she says that to you. It is quite harsh. Is she a generally stressed person?

7. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

As a matter of fact it due to her being scared i would do the same as my younger brother. I have a brother who has ADHD and some other aggresion problems thats made things stressful, hes been placed in group homes several times plus he has be hospitalized before for <mod edit - methods> She has been unable to control him and has taken to blaming me and putting a vice grip on my life in response.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  8. Brittless

Ahh I see. Well you are not your brother. Have you talked with her about any of this? You don't deserve to be punished for your brother's issues. I can understand how in a way she wants to protect you but it sounds as if her grip is too tight. You may want to mention these things to her if you haven't already. Stress from those kind of issues can affect the whole family but we should try not to let them control our lives.

9. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

I tried mentioning it but she always returns to the "leave and dont come back" threat. She refuses to listen to me since she runs the house.

10. Brittless

She says that just because you mention your thoughts about it? That sounds like she's highly stressed then... She wants to protect you while at the same time saying these things that she may not actually mean.

Do you guys go to like a counseling group together as a family? I know a lot of families who have and can openly discuss things better.

Does your father have a say in any of this?

11. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

My father and mother are divorced and he was very physically abusive for the time i did see him, i have stopped seeing him since.

12. Brittless

Sorry to hear. It is good he is out of your life for now. I'm sure that only adds to the stress.

13. Jacob SB

Jacob SB Member

Yea right now im just trying to focus on grades and not getting thrown out of the house.

14. Brittless

Right, that is good- but you need to pursue help for your own happiness. If you can think of things that will help, I say do them. I hope you can re-connect with your acquaintances in some way. Even just a text to say hey, want to hang out.