I'm inferior to my friends

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Athnys, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that they would agree, but when I video chat with them, I feel like I'm not as smart, funny, talented, good looking, or interesting as any of them. I even hate the sound of my own voice.

They are people in their 20s and 30s who live around the US and in other countries. We are traditional Catholics and people of our religion are so split up--since we are not mainline Catholics--that it is hard to meet people of the same religion without using the Internet.

Yet despite this I've been avoiding our nightly video conferences over the Internet because they all seem better than me. They seem to accept me and welcome me when I log in, but I feel like they just tolerate me to be nice.

I don't post on SF often, but you can easily see my posts for my background.

2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

It sounds like it is hard to meet people who are in the same religious demomination as yourself and this makes it hard for you to feel acceptance when it is offered. Have you ask the people you have nightly video conferencing with if "they just tolerate you to be nice"?

3. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

No I haven't, and I don't think that I could ask something so loaded, I guess.

4. vir

vir Well-Known Member

"Traditional" catholics? I don't really get it. Like, you still attend the latin mass? I was raised catholic and AFAIK, all Catholics are subject to the same Vatican jurisdiction.

But you definitely shouldn't worry. That's insecurity talking, and if these friends of yours are good Catholics, it'd be a sin for them to exclude you because they think they're somehow better than you. I mean, that's totally antithetical to Jesus' teachings. But again, I wouldn't worry about that, because I'm sure that's just the insecurity talking. I've known other Christian groups, and that is one thing that I like and respect about them; they include everyone because they want to and because that's what Jesus did.

Plus, there are good things about having friends who inspire us to improve ourselves.

5. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's only a small part of it. We observe practices and customs that went away after Vatican II. The girls cover their heads for Mass, we all abstain from meat on Fridays, and we reject a lot of problematic things that came about after Vatican II ended, which led to a lot of other people leaving the Catholic Faith--turns out that not properly teaching the Faith is not a good way to keep people in it. Some of my friends consider Pope Benedict XVI himself to be a heretic, although I do not. There are a lot of us but we are scattered because most places don't have access to a Latin Mass. I know that I'm not really doing the definition of traditional Catholic any justice.

I don't think that they are just tolerating me, but it feels like they are. There's a few very pretty girls in our video chat group, and the guys look better than I do. They are smarter and funnier than I am, and are more talented.

They certainly have, at least from a spiritual perspective.