i'm just curious....

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by taranama, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

if you have come out to anyone in the past couple of weeks, how have they reacted? i told my best friend, (or as i like to call him, my reason for existance...) and as much as he loves me and cares for me, its like every time i want to talk about it he can't listen to me, he says its because he can't believe someone like me, beautiful, intelligent, everything going for them, would do something as bad as cutting myself so he changes the subject.

so i'm just wondering about your stories? the way i see it is that i'm lucky he still talks to me and loves me no matter what.
  2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

I told my best friend not long ago. She avoids the subject too, but I know that she still cares about me, and just wants me to be happy. Of course they will find it hard to comprehend, how can they be expected to understand something they have never experienced? He's avoiding the subject most likely because he doesn't understand, and doesn't know how to react, rather than because he doesn't care.

He's a good friend. If you want him to try to understand then direct him to some self harm website (there's plenty about) which may be able to explain things to him. Remember a subject such as SH is hard for both sides to approach, so give him some space if he isn't willing to talk about it.

You're lucky to have such an amazing friend. :smile:

3. alwaysscared

alwaysscared Active Member

I told a friend recently. Well, he's more a brother really.

He was pretty shocked and worried and has been trying to make me stop. He started emotionally blackmailing me into stopping "if u really love me, u wont cut" and he realised he was doing it too. But felt he had no other option. I finally managed to tell him last night that doing that was making me feel worse and that I need to be me. I will stop when I'm ready. It's just going to take time. I am really really lucky that he is still supporting me.

He's been a Godsend actually! He makes me tell him why I am down but wont let me dwell on it - that's when he changes the subject. And although it doesn't always work, overall, I am feeling better than I used to.

I can't tell anyone else though. A lot of close friends know that I am suicidal, but cutting I can't admit which is very strange!
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm not a cutter, so obviously I've not experience. But I have been told, as well as known many who have told others. Normally the person reacts negatively, but that tends to be only from shock and concern. To me, making such a statement is a brave and necessary thing, as it ironically tends to release a lot of the burden of secrecy and guilt that often encoruages more cutting.

That, and I see it as a way of testing who your true friends are and as the above posted has noted, even strengthens friendships.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.