I'm new here

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by TikkyTik, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TikkyTik

TikkyTik New Member

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm 22 years old and I'm also a single mother. I was diagnosed a few months ago with social anxiety and thyroid problems and put on a ton of medicine for both of those that I must take daily. I feel slightly better already but i think that it's mainly just the synthroid and not so much the prozac. I was studying psychology in college so it's something that really interests me. I'm not longer in college though due to unfortunate events and I was just working full time but after my grandmothers recent passing i was too depressed to even get out of bed, let alone go to work. So i have since lost my job and i'm currently in the process of finding a new but i have no motivation to do so.

When I was diagnosed with social anxiety my doctor recommended that i start seeing a therapist because it would help but i never went on with that. After doing some research on my own i'm almost completely sure i have bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder. i know i can't diagnose myself. but i'm thinking that maybe seeing a therapist would help especially with everything going on in my life right now. i'm just not even sure where to start.

anyways. i'm here to maybe make friends and maybe get some support from people. Any advice or comfort or information would be wonderful.

thanks for reading. :)

2. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Welcome to the forums! Lots of great people here :)

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes you are right, it is never good to self diagnose. I have borderline personality disorder quite severe and it affects my life greatly but I have a great therapist that helps and I think you should go for therapy aswell as it was recommended, best of luck to you and keep talking to us here, we will listen and try to help you.

4. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I think its best to see a therapist. Sometimes we can over or under analyze ourselves and esp for mental health its best to seek an outside opinion. I tend to over analyze myself and dismiss prior diagnosis but others on the outside view it differently.. (ie: Was dx with bipolar but dont believe I am but others can realize some pattern I cant?) What's really important isnt ness a diagnosis but that you are finding support or help in whatever mental issues you are experiencing. That can be hard to do when you dont have the energy or don't believe in a prior diagnosis (such as my friend who doesn't believe she has depression because it manifests in physical symptoms and shes detached from her emotions but I can see it and how she talks negatively) and / or dont believe / trust doctors or therapists. Comming here is a good step I think though. You can find others here to relate to and hopefully learn how to build a good support network. I think next step is therapist. In any case, welcome to the forums.

5. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum :) I agree with you, I think seeing a therapist and continuing regular appointments with your doctor is a good first route to choose. I hope you get the support that you want and can make some nice friends at the same time.

6. ughio678

ughio678 New Member

hey!

thanks for posting. i agree that seeing a therapist would be the best cource of action. hope everything works out!!

7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Hi welcome aboard. I like your creative username!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.