I'm not homophobic.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by eagles_fan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

I swear I'm not.

But I get this weird reaction whenever I see a gay couple. I'm pretty sure I'm bisexual myself. It's just homosexuality, right? I shouldn't 'see' it, but I do and that's unfortunate. I'm not even a douche to gays and lesbians, ever. It's wrong to be a homophobe, but I feel like a part of me...is. I hate it.

I sound like a closet homophobe, but I honestly don't want to be that way. I wish to support the LGBT movement and even experiment myself. My mind is fucking with me though, and I dislike it.
  2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Hey Eagles_fan,

Don't worry, I'm bisexual and I totally understand this feeling. It feels weird for me to and I'm NOT a homophobe. I think we have this feeling because the majority of society is against gays, or that is how it seems to be anyways. I don't think we are the only ones either.

:hug: I dislike the feeling too. You aren't alone.
  3. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate you feel that way but you can't help what you feel, you're only human, it's choosing how you act upon these feelings which makes it right or wrong.

Is it knowing they are a gay couple or is it when you see them being affectionate in public?
  4. Mr. E

Mr. E Well-Known Member

I think this is mostly due to how you have been socialized over the years and not necessarily a deep-rooted personal value of yours. You've already recognized this mismatch between the values you wish to hold and your reactions, which is a huge step. Hold on to those pro-LGBT values and eventually the rest will follow.
  5. eagles_fan

Gah, honestly forgot that I even made this thread.

Thank you so much. That's actually what I've been thinking as well. Society's bullshit has rubbed off on me.

I think it's when I see them being affectionate in public. It makes my head do weird things that I don't like.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Thank you. Again, I'm pretty sure that's what's going on too. I've believed in LGBT rights since forever and it's honestly only lately that I've been feeling this way. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I acted a little gay when I was younger. A little effeminate as well.
  6. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

im not a homophobe either but my sister is a lesbian and i dont like hearing what she gets up to, i dont like seeing gay or lesbian couples doing anything more than hand holding in a public place etc

But theres nothing wrong with that, i personally dislike seeing hetrosexual couples doing things in public and i wont talk about those things with my parents either. To me all of that should be kept to the couple involved not with the whole world.

I dont think theres anything homophobic about what you have said as long as you are being respectful to others.

Im at the end of a pm if you need or want a chat x
  7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Yeah society has a way of doing that to us. :hug:
  8. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

Well, the way I see it, is like this. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some people like vanilla ice cream, some people like both. Just because you like one flavour, doesn't give you the right to judge those who like the other, especially if you have never tried said flavour of ice cream. If everyone in the world ONLY ate the SAME flavour of ice cream, well then we would live in a boring, boring world. As the idiom goes, variety is the spice of life. Sadly, for myself I have never eaten either flavour of ice cream, and I probably never will. So I can honestly say I dont know which flavour I prefer, since I have had neither and cannot make an informed decision, but you cannot miss something that you have never had. And to judge someone on such a miniscule facet of their entire being, the simple fact of which flavour of ice cream they happen to enjoy, seems like a very, very petty thing to do. Dr Seuss, that genius childhood author/illustrator, wrote a book called "the butter battle", which pretty much sums up just how stupid it is to fight over something like this. Just my two cents, damn i wish i had some ice cream right now
  9. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

I fully agree that homosexuality is not wrong in any way, and I have a lot of respect for people like that (im straight btw). Anywho, somethiing that you have to realize is that it's human nature to shy away from abnormal things, like for example, homosexuality. this is different from being a homophobe, a homophobe harbors hatred. You are not one of those assholes.
  10. gamergirl

gamergirl Well-Known Member

get over yourself
  11. eagles_fan

Thank you, but do you consider homosexuality really "abnormal," considering it exists in hundreds of species?

Not flaming you :), I'm just wondering.
  12. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that most people are Bisexual, but just repress it. considering that some species can switch their genders at will, i wouldnt call homosexuality in animals abnormal.
  13. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

i think what extra soap meant by abnormal was "different from you" like its not normal for me to fancy females as im straight, normally i fancy men" for a gay man it would be considered normal to fancy men and abnormal or, unusual to fancy women.

I might be wrong but thats what i understood.
  14. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

Are you serious? this is a legitimate concern, YOU get over yourself

And sorry about that, the wording I used wasn't too great. By abnormal I mean something that someone isn't used to. Something like xenophobia in this case.