Im so sorry about this I don't mean to rant but I dont know where else to turn

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by crystalclear, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystalclear

crystalclear Well-Known Member

Some of you might have heard about the typhoon (Sendong) that hit the Philippines. Im not gonna ask for donations or anything like that. Its just that I'm becoming overly sensitive when it come to my friends' posts in fb. I know Christmas is coming and its supposed to be a happy season but its really hard to be all jolly when I think of hundreds of people who lost their families and homes. And when I look at their posts its like, so selfish... that its pissing me off.. Oh good for you you're happy, you're in a mall shopping for the holidays, you're meeting with your friends etc etc.. but what about all of those other people who are suffering right now? Do these people even think about them? Are they even thankful? This is a huge wake up call for me... I've never been more thankful in my life that i've been so blessed. I thought I'd post a message on facebook regarding this topic but I also dont want then to think that Im being overly dramatic.

I've seen this picture on fb and it just touched my heart. No matter how much that man prays for the kid's life, it will never return. So please let us all be thankful for what we have even if we are facing hardships.
  2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I know how you feel with things like this,I've spent a few Christmas's on my own now and one particular Christmas was when the tsunami hit Indonesia and various countries that dreadful day.I guess I'd been feeling a little sorry for myself but when that story broke I was in tears for those people who were suffering something unimaginable.Meanwhile it just felt like everybody was just stuck in their little bubbles of celebrating Christmas and it pissed me off no end. I felt like everybody should be cancelling Xmas and sending money out there and feeling as upset as me. Sadly life goes on all to readily in this selfish world but I think it's good that you feel strongly about it.shows you care,it is important to think about the sadness that people experience all year round but especially at this time of year. My heart goes out to those poor souls in the phillipines right now
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

You don't need to be sorry. The world can be a cruel, selfish and cold place to be. People just generally think that because it is not happening to them, it doesn't affect them so they don't care too much about it. But while the world is selfish, we have many selfless people to be thankful for. All the aid workers out there, the people who donate money to help those who are in need, all those people doing their best and working hard every minute of every day to ensure families have clean water to drink and a starving child does not go hungry. We must celebrate these people more because without them, the world wohld be in a big, big mess.
  4. crystalclear

Mark101- "Meanwhile it just felt like everybody was just stuck in their little bubbles of celebrating Christmas and it pissed me off no end. I felt like everybody should be cancelling Xmas and sending money out there and feeling as upset as me."

That's how I feel right now... and I really dont understand why Im so upset about this. but you're right life goes on, I just hope people would you know, take a little time and stop being so selfish every once in a while. And thank you...

Amethyst Moon-we have many selfless people to be thankful for.

I am thankful for those people, and I admire them for their altruism... I just wish there's more of them... And I also wish these selfish people would step out of their perfect little worlds and open their eyes to those who are in need.
  5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Im sorry, i know its harsh what has happened but christmas is one single day of the year where people can forget just how shit their life actually is, and what, you are labelling them as selfish? They are 'friends' on facebook, how many of them do you personally know? Do you know every single one of them? Do you know what has happened in their lives? Christmas pisses me off for various reasons but im not going to tell people they MUST remember how thankful they are for what they have and to stop being so selfish.
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah.. Well You're talking about balance. Do you honestly want to think about how many people are being killed each day? How many are being abused, raped, taken advantage of, losing their homes, losing their families, sitting in the cold, starving, ect ect... There's a balance. We can't help everyone everday, and we are allowed to enjoy the things that mean something in our lives without being compared to or brought down by people in a lesser situation. But I mean, if you feel you need to do something, I'm sure there are food drives, helping the homeless out.. many things. All I can is, don't let it piss you off. Appricate it for a really happy time for some people, and perhaps trying to spread some of that happyness to people in a lesser situation. but attacking happyness and implying it's ignorant to the realitis of the world.. That's well... No offense but anyone at anytime can flip around on you for the clothes you wear, the society you support, the way you use your time.. ect. Stick to the good, and try to spread a little bit of light where it's not so bright. That's all I can think of.

Oh yeah... And be yourself. Don't let the world make you. Do what you feels right, and try to source that from a good place :)
  7. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

I felt like this after katrina and the tsunami so I quit watching the news and FB. I don't need to add to my depression. I didn't even know about what happened in the Philipines till I read your post. Pretty weak, huh?

I also met a real life friend last month for the first time in years last month. I bought a christmas present for someone for the first time in years because I never had anyone to give anything to and it made me so happy, and I'll get that high again when I give it to him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is so hard to find a balance between the two.
  8. crystalclear

Thanks y'all for the advice.. Maybe some of you are right... I am being overly sensitive about this. Im not gonna be shy on my posts anymore. I'll try to convince my friends to help too...
  9. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Sure, you could try and 'convince' them, it all depends on how much you value them all. The moment you try and convince someone that they absoloutely must support some cause or charity is a sure fire way to end up with no friends on facebook. Hell, if you try and convince them too much you might even get banned from facebook for spamming.
  10. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Hell, maybe your friends already have. Just because they're posting the trivialities of their lives on FaceBook, doesn't mean all of them are selfish. Fact is, some of them could be thinking about it this very moment or might have already helped. If there's one of those sentimental sayings I actually do agree with it's that you can't judge a book by its cover. I find that often the most selfless, generous people are the ones that don't boast about the donations they've made or the people they've helped. They do it in silence because they know that others don't need to know they've helped. They only need to know that the help was received. It's just something to think about before you let this bother you too much again.
  11. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

I like the being less shy part.

After the tsunami, I tried to get my friends and coworkers to donate $10 each, with 12 people on my team, and with my company's program of matching $2 for each dollar donated, that would be $360. Three people ended up actually participating and that was only because they felt bad saying no. That left me so jaded and seriously hating humanity for a while, esp since these asshole were overpaid computer programmers.

The lesson I learned is that, yes, people can seriously suck, but it also made me learn to appreciate compassionate, giving people who actually did care--people who think like you.

I love that you want solicit funds, but if people say no, actually, they never said no, but then would not follow through...anyway, don't take that personally and angry like I did. Instead, try to focus on the fact that whether it works well or not, you actually did something to try to help. That's all any of us can do, try hard. Also, maybe focus on the people who admire you for this instead of those that are selfish.

Good luck, be proud!

By the way, thanks for your rant. It feels good to know that people like you exist.
  12. crystalclear

Im more calm now, so I think if my friends can't donate I'll be able to understand, I know since the economy is bad most of them are also in a tight budget. I've shared a couple of post in fb but most of them I tried to talk to in person. Some told me that they don't have money right now, so I just told them some other ways in which they could help and they already responded pretty well...(they're sharing the cause too) Thank you all so much... and Im not so down anymore :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.