I'm trying to quit smoking weed

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Endoftheline, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endoftheline

Endoftheline Member

Well I'm 19 and I have been smoking weed for about a year now, 2-4 joints a day. Last week I decided to quit because I felt the need to get a grip on reality again and get my life together. Since I have quit I am having some problems though. I am REALLY depressed, I mean I even cried today. I never cry. My chest hurts, I have no appetite at all, and I keep gagging randomly throughout the day. Is this normal? I feel like shit, I've even contemplated suicide since I have quit. All this from quitting or something else?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I guess the weed kept you from feeling your true emotions. It kept you from feeling anything much and now you stopped it you are back into feeling something real. The gagging yeh thats normal too Hang in there you are just going thru withdrawal symptoms the tears are all part of it. try to keep busy do stuff that makes you happy okay it will be tuff but you can do this okay get off it for good Your mind will thank you for it.

3. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

never can understand people who get "withdrawal symptoms" when they stop smoking weed. Modern medicine says that cannot happen. At least not physical symptoms

4. Ptitz

Ptitz Well-Known Member

Yee, if there are any physical symptoms its probably not weed. There been some studies on that, but you gotto smoke for a really long time and the effects are milder than you describe there. Ive been smoking up for awhile back in highschool and i didnt have any withdrawal effects when i quit. My guess is that you should just get checked with your doctor about that.

5. racecar

racecar Member

People are really mistaken when talking about weed, it's okay when you do it a little, but I know for a fact smoking heavily like you're talking about is just going to kill you.

I've been off it over a month and I can feel my brain in my own possession again.

6. depressedGirl

depressedGirl Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. However I have decided not to even try to quit because of this. I hope you have more luck then me. Goodluck and I hope it will pass. Sorry I can't be more support

7. Freud

Freud Member

Yeah, that may be a side effect of the use of marijuana or of the quiting (withdraw symptoms).
    Whatever it is, you should stop using that thing, you should've known how bad it is.
    Also...consider that the use of marijuana may give you psychotic symptoms and even psychotic disorders like schizophrenia.

If you have problems stopping, than the only way is to consult a doctor.
    best wishes

8. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

sure is a lot of durr in this thread

9. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I've stopped smoking weed many times. There are no physical withdrawal symptoms.

10. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I've smoked for years and I can tell you that there are withdrawal symptoms, only not for every user. I assume that scientists don't make their test subjects smoke multiple times a day, every day, for a year or more.

When I quit for a while last year I was heavily depressed for a week (including crying, which I never do either), had headaches, and had barely any energy. I was also intensely suicidal, which was before I became regularly suicidal later in the year. I only left the house once during my withdrawal, and only went next door to have a drink with a neighbour, because I hadn't spoken to anyone in days.

Your symptoms will pass, and it is good you decided to quit. It sucks when weed has a hold on you, and most people don't realize how much it fucks with your head. I've quit a few times, and have now settled on smoking once a month, and my brain only gets foggy when stoned, and not in general.

If you still feel bad after a week, you should go to a doctor. Good luck with your quitting mate.

EDIT: I just remembered that I also had no appetite, and felt like throwing up a lot, so I know for a fact there are physical withdrawal symptoms. Don't believe everything a scientist says.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  11. steveoh

steveoh Active Member

well lets see, if you feel depressed it sounds like your lonely with no hobbies? yea the appetite thing is common, but just dont be weak minded, if anything only smoke when you dont have anything important to do, and always be productive, find friends, i know its a boring world now a days and when theres nothing to do, smoking is god

12. I have a theory man. really.

Ok weed causes PSYCHOLOGICAL WITHDRAWALS.

a lot of people think oh that means your just gonna crave to get h igh and think about it..

no... what is psychology? the study of the mind, it deals with thoughts and EMOTIONS.

all the sadness anxiety and stuff from quitting weed, it's psychological withdrawal, it's your mind withdrawaling, you don't physically need it, but your mind starts tripping with out it.

you get ?

also i smoke weed man, and i can say i've had depression and anxiety before weed... but still any substance that alters your consciousness is gonna have some effects... i mean think about it... its like a big BOOM to your brain, woooahh this is new, a substantial change in consciousness, and even though you might not be high for a few hours or days, still your brain has to readjust. but then again theres that part of me that says smoke weed everyday lol.

also. like getting high, you can be productive and stuff, but also weed makes boring things, well not boring, so you could sit around and listen to music and watch tv and smoke all day, and be like yeah man... but then you come down and yuo realize thats all you do(not saying that is all you do by any means idk you) but, still... your like wow man... life there is so much more to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.