I'm useless

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by smackh2o, May 13, 2007.

1. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

All I ever wanted to be after half my life was fucking destroyed was good at my job and I can't even do it because i'm so shit. I've been programming for years and stuff and I feel so underqualified I might as well just give it up. I've never won anything in my life worth remembering and i'm a complete loser. I'm just mediocre boy who happens to not even be that. I should have a sign warning people not to hire me because I can't do fuck all right. I'm a dead cell, useless, a waste of space, a dosser. I'm so shit I need to go on health benifit for depression because i'm too shit to get a job I probably wouldnt be able to do anyway. I'm so shit they havent even given me any money so i'm living off nothing. All I want to do is sit in my room and I hate this fucking room!
    Oh look, it's 1:50pm. I think i'll go to bed. shit

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Completely useless reply coming up, cos my head is all over the place, but how about getting the qualifications? Not for the job but for you..to make you feel you accomplished it:unsure:
    Also have you checked out Python yet? looks like its going to take off in a big way and seems (from quick check) to be reasonably straightforward to learn.
    :hug:

3. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

It's not that I can't learn the languages sometimes, I love c++. I've got the qualifications. I was 1 semester off my degree. But that is just skin of my teeth it felt. So many people are just too good. I can't even use excel. I'm a programmer who can't make a webpage using basic html. What a joke.
    I'm only good enough to lick the shit off peoples shoes and I bet i'de fuck that up as well.

4. Terry

Hun, I have a degree in Computing...can't use Excel, barely manages to navigate office and can't do powerpoint:blink: :eek:hmy: :dry:
    Can however, build knowledge bases, neural nets and state of the art databases. LOOK at what you CAN do, rather than what you can't.
    There will always be something you can do well..put all your energies there :hug:

5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

You build neural nets Terry!!!
    I love AI I'm no good at it. In fact I got assigned to do some Genetic Algorithms for my final and I think that sent me over the top. What do you use your nets for? I've always wanted to make stuff like that. I'm scared i'll get a job and they'll ask me to just wip up something on some program and I wont be able to do it and they'll be annoyed or laugh or sack me or something. Cheers for your replies. I'm still not sure if i'm all that great at things though but I try to look on the bright side, even when i'm lying in bed at dinner time lol. Sometimes I need to rant, rarely.

6. Terry

I built a neural net (for my final project) that could distinguish 'noise' from true ECG input (ECG being Electrocardiogram), I was attempting to get the neural net to be able to diagnose an ECG in the same way I do. I got the noise bit done and taught it to read the basics but didnt manage to get what I wanted from it.
    Turned out I needed to think sound waves rather than pattern recognition and maths :sad: Still got a 15 tho :biggrin:

7. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

wow!
    My mum works in cardiology department. I've seen ECG's being done!
    I'de love to try a new project like that, wish I had the momentum to do it.

8. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

9. Terry

The funny thing with my project was that while trying to do the whole ECG diagnosis, I was in contact with a team at Siemens and another 10 strong team in Sweden who were trying to do the same thing....much swapping of emails went on as we all went up our own bums :laugh:
    When I finished my paper on the whole thing, I had more or less proved that we were on the wrong path. I subsequently sent my findings to the team in Sweden and that was what started the whole sound waves path.
    So even tho I didnt get it to work and whole project could be classed a failure, I at least proved it was the wrong way to go, which turned out helpful:smile:

So moral is..you might not be right, you might get it wrong, but the doing can still be important:biggrin:

10. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I can't argue with that, cheers Terry and welcome back Sammie! Thanks for the hug

:hug: :hug: you both