Immortality?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ninemilly Massacre, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so yesterday I was watching this really old movie called The 6th Day which was about humans obtaining a kind of psuedo immortality through cloning after death combined with "memory transplantation". But that got me thinking; with the increasing rate of scientists discovering new technology, particularly within the nuerological department (i.e. prosthectic limbs operated partly by thought), some speculate it will be only be a matter of time before we achieve the perfect balance of man and machine within our own bodies making us impervious to natural death. Bringing to an end with it perhaps the greatest endeavour of man kind, achieving immortality not just philisophically but physically.

But as they say the greatest obsticales to achievement is ourselves. There are people who would argue against, excuse the paradox, the death of death for the human race and if this objection be strong enough could at least delay this ultimate culmination of hundreds of years of effort. Perhaps even permanently.

So what do you guys think about this? Is there even a possibility of this actually happening, or is the thought of human immortality forever to remain in science fiction films and the imaginations of scientists?

2. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath. Your body's cells are meant to die. When they become immortalized, it's called getting cancer. Immortality is best achieved by reproducing asexually, like many microorganisms. Then again, you'd lose much of the genetic variability needed to perform human tasks. Also, the universe is finite. Sooner or later, it will reach maximal entropy and everything from stars to galaxies to the life here will die off. There's really no escaping the laws of physics.

Furthermore, our behaviour isn't meant to be exposed to immortality. There is no greater motivation to life than the prospect of death. People only seek a purpose in life because they know they only have a finite time to do it. No stronger emotion exists than that caused by death. The entire reason you live is because you know you'll die. Without death, you'd still be alive, but you wouldn't be living. After all, where's the motivation to do anything if you have an eternity to do so? It's this paradox that sort of defeats the purpose of it all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree. I wouldn't hold my breath...but have you ever heard about the flatworm experiment?

They (scientists) took a flat worm and shone a light on him right before they shocked him repeatedly...they did this over and over, and after awhile, the worm would recoil after the light, before being electrocuted. Then, they smashed him up and injected him into another flatworm. They then shone a light on the injected (living) flatworm, and he recoiled from the light, as if he was about to be electrocuted...something about RNA...freaky stuff :)...but so far that sort of thing doesn't work on humans.

4. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Wow...that's sort of disgusting.

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Truly...

6. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Well, transplanting memory... It still wouldn't be "you" that lives on if your memory is transplanted in some other body, even if it is shaped exactly like yours. It would be someone else with your memories. Because the feeling you now have of being alive, the feeling of being "you", can not be transplanted.

7. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

It'd be a clone of me that thought it was me. But "I" would be dead. My wife and I were just talking about this the other day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.