Impending job loss

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Cybrsk8r, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cybrsk8r

Cybrsk8r Well-Known Member

I've been on the edge ever since my Mom died three years ago. Now I find that My job is going to be eliminated. I'm afraid I won't be able to get another job. I can't see any reason why anyone would want to hire me. I've decided that if it comes to either homelessness or suicide, I'm going to choose the later. I have a few ideas as to the method. I guess I just want to get it over with.
  2. Mooacow

Mooacow Member

C'mon, let's talk =). What was your job? I'm sure that you can find another with some confidence.

I'm sorry about your mother; I know friends who've been put on edge by similar situations. Don't give up so easily though! I'm sure you can find a new job; perhaps even one that points in a brighter direction!
  3. Cybrsk8r

Cybrsk8r Well-Known Member

Everybody dies. It's just a question of when.
  4. bringer of light

bringer of light Well-Known Member

Firstly get over the feeling that you have lost.

Your former employer is losing by losing you.

I used to contract to many of the main IT companies and often they could not afford me after a while.

Also my breath stinking of alcohol did not do me any favours, but I know that the moment I want to work in IT again I just need to email my CV and I will get a new contract.

I don't want this though. I want to work on making a synthetic alcohol and either becoming a farmer or becoming a mercenary.
  5. charmane

charmane Well-Known Member

Sorry about your situation. I live in Detroit area and know a lot about unemployment - know a lot of people in that boat. Make sure you apply for benefits asap. You can also get help with utilities and food stamps while you are out of work. Sign up with an employment agencies and go to job fairs and events for people out of work. I know that right now there is also a lot of retraining opportunities out there through community colleges and trade schools. The government is paying for it and extending benefits will you work on retraining for a new career. You need to get to your local community college and inquire or ask at the unemployment office.

Seek resources in your area and know you are not alone. It is rough out there but please keep trying, work on your resume, fill out applications, make it known to friends, families, neighbors, acquantances, etc. that you are looking. Apply for a job, keep a log of where you applied, with address & phone #, and name of anyone you may have spoken to and call them back to check the status within one week. Note who you speak to and call back again the next week. It's the squeaky wheels who get the grease. When you call an employer or stop back they pull your application or resume to the top. I used to work in a placement office and do career ed so I know the drill. Good Luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.