Import Duty Sucks

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Free Trade FTW
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The value of the import duty is to help protect domestic industries, which translates into things such as lower taxes and stronger job market. I can imagine, though, that in countries where there is less availability to things, it can surely feel like a burden of additional expenses.
  3. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Indeed! No matter how well we understand the reasons, the out of pocket reality can hurt.

For example, a book sold in the US for $25 can be as much as $11 more here, and the exchange rate on my money vs the US dollar is not that high. Thank heaven for the library! :D
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

It actually works in many odd ways also. For instance, in the U.S. medications can be very expensive. Some people order theirs from outside of the U.S. because it actually saves them money. I know that people who live near the border of Mexico often drive to Mexico from the U.S. to gas up their cars, or to buy certain items (including alcohol) that is priced far less than in this country.

The duty tax added (import and export) is a necessary evil that helps maintain an economy. For the working class, it's almost essential, even though it seems to hurt on the surface. Too, taxes are what pay for things that many of us normally just take for granted in our lives, from economic and physical improvements that go on around us, maintenance, and even social services and various kinds of support system. Everything we do is all a cog in the greater machine that is going on around us.
  6. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Well I don't know much about fair trade markets but I know it helps with the PR, it makes a company look honest.

The girl scouts of America actually stopped using a particular oil in their cookie recipe because it was found the oil was being produced in a country using slave labor for the workers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.