Impossible to give up

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Disappear, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

I cut myself last night, it was the first SH I've done in months. It's always the same way. You think that will be your last and as the months go past you believe it. But then something happens and you get the urge or you can't control the pain so you have to cut yourself to feel better. I truely believe I won't ever be able to stop. But I don't really care, there's nothing wrong with SH and people who do it should not feel shunned or embarrassed for it. All people have different coping mechanism, some drink, some run, some smoke and some SH. I wish people would realise that. If it's not life threatening, then let it be. It's a personal thing!

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

You said some drink and smoke.. both of which destroy your body, therefore being forms of self manipulation/self injury/self harm.

3. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Yeah ok, no need to be specific. I think there is a difference though...between cutting yourself and having a smoke.

4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Sometimes, not always. Some say it's just a more socially acceptable way of harm, which is correct. People don't mind if they see you smoking and drinking. Taking out a blade though, that's not acceptable at all.

5. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

You're putting smoking, drinking and self harming on the same level.. so I don't really see what difference you're talking about?

6. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

i agree completly. But we will never be able to change the minds of all these people who think they set the norm.

7. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I agree a lot with what everyones saying and I used to cut. I smoke now as my socially accepted self harm. I can say ill be right back im going for a smoke and people say ok but if I said be right back im gunna go cut myself thered probably be an instant intervention. I believe what you say if im not doing permanent damage why cant I? Im not saying cutting is ok but society decided its horrible and everyone who does it needs help. Its crazy how some people like me dont do permanent damage but we all need help because some people do and yet smokers dont need to be stopped instantly and some people smoke 2+ packs a day. Every smoker does permanent damage even if its just a smoke once in a while. Pretty much to sum it up society decided and if we dont play by their rules were wrong and need help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.