Impulsive Eating Vs Emotional Eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by symondhelly, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. symondhelly

symondhelly Account Closed

Impulsive eating is somehow related to emotional eating but their difference is distinct.

Impulsive eating can be characterised as an instantaneous crime whereas emotional eating is definitely a continuous one. Emotional eating has to do with the confusion between emotional and biological hunger. You do not eat to satisfy your body but your emotions.

Let's see some examples with impulsive eating:

1. You are leaving home to get to the office. A divine smell from the nearby bakery is hitting your nose. After a very short hesitation period you are heading there in the most decisive manner,grab two gigantic freshly baked croissants and then,very cool,you go no with your every day routine.

2. You are already full when by chance you find yourself in front of a seductive buffet. You do not lose the chance and start from the beginning. Your philosophy will not permit you to lose this chance. If it is free,go for it!

3. You are in the office. John, one of your your colleagues celebrates his name day and treats you to a huge profiterole. Although your stomach is bursting with food you are not going to offend John. Neither are you going to offend Joanne with her ambrosial specialities. You are not going to be so rude! Not you!

Impulsive eating is connected either with special locations or with special moments.

Figure out those high risk cases and try to avoid them. Take defensive measures.

Try to always have in front of you the big picture: yourself in the body of your dreams.

Always remember the negative feelings following your compliance.

Believe into the strength of your character. You are not a leaf depended on every whim of the wind!

Impulsive eating as well as emotional eating will lead to obesity if left uncontrolled!

To your great health!

2. denialmark

denialmark New Member

Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction is characterized by an obsessive/compulsive relationship to food. Professionals address this with either a behavior-modification model or a food-addiction model. An individual suffering from compulsive overeating disorder engages in frequent episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binge eating, during which they may feel frenzied or out of control, often consuming food past the point of being comfortably full. Binging in this way is generally followed by feelings of guilt and depression.

Emotional eating can be a real challenge when you are trying to lose weight. It is particularly difficult for those of us who eat in response to stress, but with a few coping skills and strategies to stop it before it starts, you can learn how to prevent and cope with emotional eating

3. carekitty

carekitty Guest

What sort of coping skills and strategies are you talking about? I could sure use some!

I have put on over 100 pounds, and HATE myself. I won't even leave the house anymore (we have our own business, so I can work at home). I don't want anyone to see me, I'm so ashamed. Okay, I know no one cares or is going to look at me, but I hate looking this way, and can't stand for anyone to see me. I am even avoiding family get togethers, and old friends. I'd rather die than have anyone see how fat I've gotten. I've even considered overdosing on meds, just so no one will ever see me.

I do have some health issues which would make strenuous exercise impossible, but just controlling my eating or stopping binging constantly would help.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I can't afford professional counselling, so that's not an option, but not quite at an income level where I would qualify for free counselling.

I'm getting so desperate anymore. :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.