in a hamster wheel

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ThornThatNeverHeals, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

So I am not sure if this sounds like a rant... but it isn't meant to be... I am just utterly confused.

I work in a pizza joint and have been for almost 15 months. I am a hard worker and (besides management) have 2nd in seniority. Just recently the big bosses moved our managed and our assistant manager was promoted. I was not sure how to feel (this was about a month ago). Unfortunately, about 3 months ago another student from my school was hired. She is a horrible person. She lies on a daily basis and if you say anything that she disagrees with she will hate you. She likes to make people feel uncomfortable and will do things that are borderline sexual harassment. Not bad enough to report, but bad enough to make one miserable. She likes to make fun of me because I try to walk a strait life. She tells me how wild I will be and is constantly pressuring me to do things that are bad. She basically does everything she can to make those that she hates miserable. She will talk bad about you behind your back, then sweet to your face. She will chew you in front of customers where she has no authority. She has a vengeance of a snake. She does everything to make your life hell. She also happens to be the new managers best friend.

So what do I do? I have been having conflict with this employee but I can do nothing. I have suffered humiliation from unjust lectures in front of customers. I dare even say she is emotionally abusive. I have lodged complaints but the management will do nothing. They are very informal and my verbal complaints have gone unheeded. I cannot make a written complaint- there is no process to do it.

On top of all this I cannot get any working hours. I only get 2 hour shifts while this employee, who has less seniority than me is able to get as many hours as she wishes. I get sent home early and this person gets kept late. I have always come in when needed if I am not scheduled. Yet this employee, at one time, was only willing to work one day a week. Now, however, I can barely get enough hours to make it worth my time. AND WE ARE HIRING. I feel completely shit on and worthless. Is all the effort I put in, in vain?

I am considering looking for another job. I will have more time in the summer and can try to take on more hours. I can then at least get the hours I need. But this will displease my manager. I cannot afford to just plain out quit. I will not be able to search for another job without my manager finding out. And even if I get more hours it will not lessen the harassment from the other employee. I feel lost and alone. I do not know what to do.... I feel like I am pinned and they know it. I hate it. I hate this hell. I hate this hamster wheel I am in.

2. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I have a silly question. Are you sure this girl hates you? I ask only because it sounds like she is attracted to you. The effort she puts in to try to get you to do stuff with her and the inappropriate behavior as well.

Her hatefulness might stem from the rejection she feels from you; which stems from misunderstanding on her part for sure.
    It sounds childish, but it could be true.

You are not to blame. You are not worthless. This is not your fault. :hug:

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Look for a new job. If you are not getting hours already and the work environment is miserable already then what do you actually have to lose? Since they are currently hiring it is unlikely they would fire you even if they found out and if they were to ask you can give as much as explanation as you like (such as by saying you are tired of non- managers thinking they have the authority to verbally chastise you in front of customers - stick to simple facts not feelings or perceptions) or just say you are not getting enough hours so are looking for a second job to get more work hours. You are far better off looking for a job now rather than in a month when there will be hundreds of people on summer break looking for jobs and you 15 months experience should make it relatively easy to get a job. On interviews simply say looking for more hours otherwise job is fine so you do not look like a complainer.

4. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

This girl is no good. She attacks others like this. She lies on scholarships saying she wants to start a nonprofit in South America for underprivileged children. She really plans in opening a strip club. she makes the people she hates life hell. Since she knows that I am uncomfortable with close contact that is what she uses against me.

I agree Ben. I picked up a couple applications today. I will try to get them done by Wednesday. I am ready for a change. This job is not worth what little mental health I have been able to build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.