In for alot of pain... support would be wonderful.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Ordep, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

As I've been saying and some people might know, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and take painkillers to relieve the pain. And as some people might know, I've grown addicted to those painkillers.

Today I finally gathered the strengh to go to the doctor and tell him about it (thanks for answering my thread about it Violet!) and upon learning of my addiction he changed my prescription to a different, weaker kind of painkiller.

He doctor was straightfoward and told me I should expect alot of pain until my organism adapts to the new dose, and knowing how much it hurt the last time I was away from those meds, I have a good idea of what's to come...

So, I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here, but if anyone has some words of wisdom or kindness to share with me... now would be a really great time to do it because I'm about to enter the frying pain of physical pain.
  2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

About all the comfort I can think to give to someone in physical pain is to say let yourself be treated as softly and gently and nicely as you can (ie stop thinking of others and focus on yourself, get them to do things for you etc without feeling guilty about it.)

But I have to say, I wondered why your doc has put you on weaker painkillers? Even if you have an addiction, if it helps, why is that bad?

3. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Because I'm abusing the meds, taking more than I should and feeling their effect wearing off much sooner than it should, thus making me wanna take even more. I need to change prescription or I'll end up having a painkiller overdose.

Dunno if anyone will care, but I'll just post here on how I'm doing with this change, if anything, just to vent of whatever. I'm already feeling me legs weakening, I must have around an hour till the pain kicks in.
  4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Going to say the obvious - of course people will care! Trouble is with physical pain, there's not much can be said to make it any better, so I know I for one feel helpless in the face of other's physical pain.

May not be the right thing to ask at this point, but I'm curious about the CF Syndrome - what little I know of it was all to do with exhaustion and inabilty to do anything due to extreme fatigue - I didn't have a clue that actual pain was part of it. Is that normal, or do you have a particularly virulent form of it?
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

*hugs* I know there's not much I can say, but I just wanted you to know I care.
  6. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

CF Syndrome is not really the most self-explanatory name around for an illness. Actually the portuguese name is "Sindrome de dor cronica difusa" meaning "Chronic, difuse pain syndrome". The most common symptoms are
    joint and muscle pain in multiple unrelated places that tend to switch over time (ex: my leg hurts for half an hour, then the pain goes to my shoulder, and so on.), fatigue, sometimes even exausthion, that isn't relieved by rest, muscle weakness and headaches. But patients can also feel other symptoms. For example I used to be hypersensitive in my first year with CFS. Cognitive diffculties, poor immune system, cardiac and respiratory problems are also possible. As is depression (which I suffer from, tough to be honest I already had suffered from depression before having CFS so maybe it's unrelated.

There is no diagnosis or testing procedure for CFS so the only way to confirm is "diagnosis of exclusion" where you test for anything that fits the symptoms and when everything cames back negative it means you have CFS.

Hope that cleared it for ya.
  7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Pedro like the others have said, sorry there are no words to help you through the physical pain. But the emotional and mental pain of "withdrawl" are just as real as the physical will be. So hun whenever you are able yes please post here. Who knows it might even help a little with the physical pain as you will have the opportunity to concentrate on something else. For the aches and pain take as many warm baths as you can stand to sit through, lay down as often as you can and try to sleep through as much as you can. Rent a few complete seasons of a favorite TV series and watch them remembering how well you enjoyed them the first time and that too may help.
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Addiciton to painkillers is a real damned if you do damned if you dont situation. In a way it is a good thing that you know what you will be up against so that you can prepare yourself the best you can to fight it. Thinking of you and saying a prayer that between yourself and with the help of the new friends you have made here that your battle is short and victorious!!!! :arms:
  8. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

If this ain't hell... gosh I'm gonna become a saint to keep well away from it...

I'm already wishing I'd have my legs chopped off so they would just stop hurting... dumb I know, but when you're in so much pain that's the kind of thoughts you end up having.

My spine is also starting to give in to the pain and with it so goes my capability of being comfortable while sitting. The doctor said it would take a few days for things to become more stable... I sure hope he meant like 2 days cause anymore of this is just torture...

Anyway, thanks for everyone who posted. It feels good to recieve some goodwishing
  9. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Are there any alternative treatments you'd try, like aromatherapy massage, acupuncture etc?? Even relaxation techniques can help in some cases.
  10. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Tried acunpulture and chiropratic (sp?) and it relieved the pain aliiiittle, but really wasn't worth the big bucks I was paying them.
  11. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

God this is awfull. I'm such an addict. I've been 24 hours without my fix and I'm pretty much dead with pain. Sweating alot too. What I wouldn't do for some of my old painkillers right now...

I've isolated myself in my bedroom for the time being 'cause I'll go berserk if either one of my parents asks me how I'm doing again. I look like crap, that should be answer enough... Yeah, I'm being an ass, but I'm howling in pain here dammit!

Trying to take my mind off the pain by posting here... Write, write write. When I'm thinking what to write, I'm not thinking of the pain.
  12. WildCherry

Keep writing if it helps. Do whatever you can to distract yourself from the pain. I know it's hell, but you've made it 24 hours and you're doing really well. You can keep going!
  13. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I second WildCherry. And if that means writing lots of posts describing how painful it is, then do that too, maybe no-one can make the pain go awsy, but by writing it out we can get to hear how bad it is for you, so at least you're not suffering in silence.
  14. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Thanks alot guys, your replies may seem too little, but it actually helps to feel some goodwhising. I'm really feeling the whidrawal sensation for lack of my usual painkillers. This ones seem to do jack, but the doctor said it would feel like that for a while.

I'm also following Carla's/itmahan's advice and I'm watching season dvds from some comedy shows, humor's a good way to keep the brain from the pain. Yesterday the pain got a bit better after nightfall, maybe it has to do with the lower temperature, I dunno, but I'm hoping it'll happen again today.

Again guys, thank you so much for answering, it means alot to see people caring for me.
  15. WildCherry

I hope the pain lessens really soon. I do care, and I know there are others who do too. If you need anything, either post here or drop me a PM.
  16. Montage

Montage Well-Known Member

I've been right where you are and I know its HELL!!! It does get better I promise :) Take it moment by moment :)
  17. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hey Pedro, been thinking of you hun. Hope today was atleast a teeny weeny better than yesterday. Keep holding on and riding it out. This was what day 2? If going by what the doc said, your almost 1/2 there. Soon it will start getting better everyday!!! Hold on to that thought.
  18. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Hey! So good to hear that people do care... Anyway, I'm getting better at last. Sure, I'm still in pain but I can resume my usual life now. I've been resting and sleeping alot to make up for the last few days (little to no sleep because of all the pain) and before next Monday I'm hoping to be fully back on my feet.

If anything, I guess that was a hard taught lesson on the effects of abusing painkillers...
  19. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Good to hear that your'e getting better. I hope that you get even better soon Ordep. :rose:
    Coming off those addictive painkillers will be worth it in the long term.
  20. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

:hugtackles::arms::arms: thinking of you, hope you are doing well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.