In Rememberance-9/11. A Special Friday Cafe

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Godsdrummer, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Welcome friends to Friday here at SF.

This is a special day for people around the USA and I suppose around the world or at the very least in Western Society.

I don't want to get into wierd theories about the day, but rather, take the opportunity in this thread, to remember the day.

What were you doing?

How did you hear about it?

What was your communities reactions etc....

Also, this is a day to reflect, upon the 2800 souls who died that day.

So today, let's remember 9/11. But...let's also celebrate the life we have....We should remember to count are blessings.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Great thread :hug:

I was in school when it happened, I heard about it when I got home.. as everyone was glued to the news. I can't remember people's reactions :blink:

I agree, let's be grateful for what we have and how precious life is, it shouldn't be taken for granted :hug:

3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been a subscriber to CNN's breaking news email alerts for a year or 2 prior to 9/11. As I recall it was tensions between China and Taiwan that got me to sign up.

So....here it was 9/11/01, another day at work. I was working for a cell phone company in a customer service role. We didnt just have cubicles that we worked in, rather we had cubes...a section of space with multiple open spaced work stations with a cubicle attached for the team leader.

I got a CNN breaking news email alert that a plane crashed into the WTC.

I remembered thinking that was odd, how could a small commuter type plane like this one,

[​IMG]
    miss the WTC?

So I got up and told my boss.

Shortly thereafter the world changed. Chaois started to fill the call center. We worked approx 25 miles from Chicago.

A friend of mine, another team leader from a different team came and found me. She asked me to go with her to the TV room. We were there and watched as the 2nd plane came in and struck the other WTC.
    My friend fainted into my arms.

It was at that moment I knew we were being attacked.

At some point later, chaos erupted when word got to us that the Sears Tower in Chicago was being evacuated. We thought for sure that the plane ( what ended up being Flight 93) was heading for the Sears Tower.

Other interesting things I recall about that day.

My building where I worked was so close to Chicago that you saw planes in the air all the time. As a smoker back then, I was outside every chance I got to have a cigarette, and on 9/11 after the FAA grounded all the planes, I remembered being outside and thinking how errily quiet it seemed.

Later when I finally got back home, one of the local gas stations jacked their price up to $5.00 a gallon. We were paying like $1. and change per gallon at the time. So there was a run on the gas stations.

I remember too the paranoia that set in.
    We live close to a nuclear power plant and thought for sure in the coming moments, or hours or days, that the plant would be a target.

None of knew anything that day.

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Good idea for a thread!

When I found out, I was at my mother's house. I had been there for over a week, taking care of their two dogs while they went on vacation. They had gotten back two days before 9/11, and they were going to drive me back to the town I lived in later that week.

I remember hearing them say on the news that no planes would be flying that day, and then taking the two dogs outside and hearing a plane flying really low. I know it scared the hell out of me, because I figured it was another attack, maybe on a building in Pittsburgh. But it was just a military plane.

5. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

That must have been scary.

Off topic a sec, but congrats WC on your promotion to Moderator. Give em hell girl! lol

6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I remember that day, I was only 9 I think... It was outdoor school and then we heard the staff talking about "the huge towers" that had crashed to the ground. Then my father talked about a colleague that was there in New York. :(
    What did the terrorists think about? NO murderers come to heaven, just hell..
    RIP all the victims

7. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I was getting ready for college.... my mom told me about it... she was driving to the store and hear it on the radio...when she got back home she told me to turn on CNN ...theres something weird going on ...a plane crashed into WTC, me and my mom sat there and watched live the second plane hit...i was almost late for college but when i got there classes were canceled and we spent the day watching the TV...it was my friends bday that day... very weird and surreal day...

8. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

im from britain, but id just got back from school and it was over every channel. i didnt realize it had such a big impact until i read the paper the next day.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I had just gotten to school when I heard. My friend was worried about her sons that were in the navy and both stationed in NY. Then I started thinking about my relatives in the armed forces. A day that few will ever forget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.