Inability to concentrate or study with my disorders

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by scareddude, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scareddude

scareddude Well-Known Member

I have apparently got schizophrenia, Asperger's and social phobia, to varying degrees.

I'm on 10mg aripiprazole and 50mg sertraline.

I have had an academic decline. I'm 22 now. At 18 I started a maths degree, and it has gone horribly wrong, and it's looking like I'll have to leave it unless something changes very soon. I'm in the third year. I got higher than average school grades and school performance compared to the others on my degree, and now I'm far below average on my degree (only about 10% drop out of my degree, and I might end up being in that bottom 10%).

I don't study any more. I was declining steadily in mental health from the age of about 12, and when I was 18 I had really stopped studying and trying. I was medicated only by 20, so I don't think medication was the entire problem for me with my studies.

I tried to get ritalin from my psychiatrist, but he can't legally give me it without an ADHD diagnosis.

I wonder if a mood stabiliser would help. I do get highs where I overspend and lows, one of which has included a moderate suicide attempt, which wasn't for attention and which could have been very dangerous, even considering that I decided to pull out of it early.

But I've had a professional assessment and apparently don't need a mood stabiliser, one reason being that I don't get pressure of speech during my highs and don't become very talkative with strangers.

I am attending my menial voluntary work for 20-28 hours a week, but with difficulty. I find it awful, but as long as I turn up and do the fairly simple tasks they ask of me, I can get through it. It's actually forcing myself to study which is the difficulty. I never used to force myself. It was something I loved.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Perhaps you should ask your doctor for an anti psychotic which would not be unreasonable due to your schizophrenia diagnosis. Most anti psychotics also act as mood stabilisers and can help slow down any racing thoughts to allow you to concentrate.

3. scareddude

scareddude Well-Known Member

I'm currently on aripiprazole, an atypical antipsychotic.

I have tried risperidone (high five on that one by the way!) and amisulpride as well, and couldn't study on them.

I think it might be the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, making it hard for me to study.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It could well be, but it may be that you need to be on more than one anti psychotic at a time to manage your symptoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.