Inability to cry?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PiecesMended, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I haven't cried in nearly 2-3 years. I really feel the need to cry and I can feel it but the tears won't come, even when I'm really upset. Is anyone else unable to cry who knows why perhaps?

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I can't really cry. But I blame me for suppressing my emotions, so after a while I just don't feel like much.

I'm always scared that one day I'll snap and something'll go really bad :unsure:.

3. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I completely understand this feeling. Sometimes I feel that I just need to cry and let it all out and I'll feel better, but I'm almost too apathetic or something, to do so. I'm not sure how to explain the feeling but I do understand. I'm afraid to say that all I can do is just wait until it builds up enough and I can get it all out.. but it does happen. You've waited 2 - 3 days.. it could be any day now. I know this isn't very helpful, I wanted you to know you're not alone though, that it's perfectly normal and in a short time, you'll be able to let it out. My PM box is always open.

4. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I can't cry. For me its cos of my meds but it is annoying. Sometimes i feel so sad, i really want to cry and nothing.
    Do you think you can't cos of meds?

5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

There is actually a physical explanation that may apply to you if you haven't been able to cry- but have tried.

I've gone through periods when I couldn't cry-- but most of my life, I cry way too much.

I have heard that after going through something traumatic, sometimes, our bodies will do things to 'help us' cope. Sometimes, making us sleep more than we need to or boost our metabolisms- and sometimes our tear ducts can actually shut, making it impossible to cry.
    I think it's mostly a mental thing... but you could try asking your doctor about if if you think it's physical, maybe.

Being depressed though- I've had bouts when I just could not cry at all, even when I was in deep sadness. Also times when I could not speak, even if I would try- no sound would come out.
    It's a bit mysterious to me...

6. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

... editted x3

7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I was like this for a long time, it was horrible because it was like I couldn't express myself. I do sometimes cry now but it's rare. It's sometimes a side effect of anti depressants but also feeling numb can be a symptom of depression. Do you feel numb generally?

8. PiecesMended

LongRoad - That's what I'm worried about too.
    Confusticated - This is very helpfull it's nice to know I'm not the only one thank you for the reply.
    Decode - I don't really know whether it could be... should I ask my doc?
    KittyGirl - I didn't know that! But I haven't gone through anything particularly traumatic.
    aki - Yes I feel numb most of the time though not as much as I used to since my meds kicked in. It's hard to explain I have random periods of emotions being out of control then suddenly not being there at all.

9. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I'm no medical expert, or indeed a psychological one either but I'm struck at this point by something my counsellor said to me when I was getting help 18 months ago.

There are two kinds of people with depression. One group who deal with it by being obsessively busy, and the other who overthink and get stuck in their own head.

I don't know which of these anybody here is - although from reading the forums it seems mainly the latter, but it strikes me like this:

The first group is over busy and doesn't or can't cry because they are constantly distracting themselves from their situation as a coping mechanism.

The second group cannot cry because they over-think things and therefore have nothing left to cry about because they've been over it so many times internally.

This is an incredibly simplistic - and homecooked - theory, but it makes some sense to me - what do you guys and gals think?

10. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

11. PiecesMended

I think that makes sense actually. Any theory is a good one. I qualify for the second type and I do overthink every single little detail untill I'm not even sure what Im supposed to feel about it anymore.
    This will definatly apply to some. Thanks for the reply.

12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I can't cry anymore really and i used to be such a cry baby. The pain has become trivial. Nothing really surprise me anymore.

13. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

The last time I cried was probably when I was 14 and was getting bullied in school. That was about 16 years ago. I used to be a crybaby when I was a child and I vowed that when I grew up, I would be a man and no longer cry. Even at funerals, I don't cry, but maybe when one of my loved ones passes away, I may shed some tears?

14. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've had that problem too, where I feel like I want or need to cry and can't. And then sometimes I don't plan on crying and I do, it's weird.

Just saw this and needed to comment;

Quote:
    I used to be a crybaby when I was a child and I vowed that when I grew up, I would be a man and no longer cry.

Crying's a normal part of life, and I'll never understand the concept some guys have where they have to "be a man and not cry." Crying has nothing to do with being a man, it doesn't make someone less of a man if they cry.

15. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

I haven't shred a tear for more than 20 years.

I've got no idea why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.