Increasingly attractive

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by alrockliffe, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alrockliffe

alrockliffe Member

Being fairly new to the increasingly attractive proposition of suicide, the range of views and advice is interesting but generally appear flawed.

Firstly, the guilt trip, you know "just think of the ones you are leaving behind, just think of their pain". Well, why on earth do people think we have reached this state? Often, certainly in my case, it is because of these same people, the same ones that have caused so much pain by their abandonment and lack of care. Sorry, but they deserve to have the guilt and pain in the future, for what they have failed to do in the present. Let us remember that we are referred to as victims of suicide, yes that is right, we are the victims and not the perpetrators.

Secondly, the assumption that "things will get better". Oh will they, you know that? After 47 years of a downward spiral it would be lovely to think that someone will turn the magic switch, but lets be honest, it will not happen and even if it did the previous years would not be erased.

Finally, the "lucky to be alive" argument, appreciate the little things.How many of us who consider suicide feel lucky to be alive, that is the whole point, we feel desperately unlucky! If you are run over by a car, but survive albeit with terrible injuries, are you lucky to be alive or unlucky for being run over?

The simplistic assumption in all of this is that we are in charge of of our own destiny. For a person marooned on a desert island that could be true, but how did they get there in the first place? We do not live in a vacuum, and daily life involves interaction with people and our surroundings. It is these events and interactions which shape our lives, and we can not control them. Paradoxically, for us, taking our life is the last hopeless act of tying to gain control of our existence.

Andrew

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I agree.

I am not suicidal now (I think something like a miracle happened to me in the last year or so) but I agree with you. I've felt and thought like you for so many years.

What has helped me recently was to shut out and not expect too much from people who are close to me and who I've felt have abandoned or neglected me for either very valid personal reasons, blindness, not being able to take responsibility for their actions, living in fantasy land or whatever. It does free me a lot- to shut out, to not expect, to isolate and to try and get some control over my need for comfort without killing or harming myself.

3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

if you are a man and your penis is working and you are in overall good shape, I dont know why you could kill yourself

4. alrockliffe

alrockliffe Member

ggg4567 - thanks, I await my miracle!

wastedmylife - I seem to have spent much of my life surrounded by people like you, and look where it brought me.

5. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

what is that supposed to mean

6. alrockliffe

alrockliffe Member

Read the original post - the answer is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.