Incurable or terminal disease..

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Bambi, Jul 21, 2009.

?

Would you decline treatment for an incurable or terminal disease?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2009.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Unsure

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

If you were diagnosed with an incurable or terminal disease would you decline treatment?

Treatment meaning procedures, drugs etc to delay progression, for example cancer, multiple sclerosis to name a few. For the purpose of this thread I do not consider pain medication a treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  2. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

Wait.... what treatment would they have for an incurable disease?

However, I would go through treatment.

3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I would decline treatment of course but not pain killers or anything meant to lessen the suffering.

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Thanks iKarma for calling my attention to defining treatment. Hope I clarified it.

5. ashes_away

amazingly a lot of people will go ahead with chemo ,etc even IF the chances are statistically slim for their form of cancer etc.So they die sooner and suffer more for the radiation poisoning..when if they had declined such harsh treatments they would have lived much longer and suffered alot less with the help of pain killers at least until end stages.I have witnessed this personally.At that point I believe assisted ....should be an option.:sad:

6. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i chose unsure as it would depend on what the disease was. if it were diabetes or such like i would take medication for it. but if it were terminal ie cancer and it was just going to prolong my life for a few more weeks then i probably wouldnt

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It depends. If declining treatment meant I would have to suffer physical pain then I would not decline it. If treatment meant more pain but a longer life then I would refuse it.

8. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It depends on the treatment. If it was going to significantly lengthen my life, I would accept it. But if it was something that was going to make me feel worse than the disease itself, and not increase my lifespan, I'd decline it.

9. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Sorry I did not make it clear at the start.

I don't consider pain management a treatment.

When I refer to treatment I mean surgery, radiation, medications etc. that prolong your life.

Also, I wish I had added a question if you would be a part of an experimental program, for example stem cells...in the sense that you don't care about living but would consider taking medications for the sake of others.

I see declining treatment as Passive Suicide in many cases so if you were diagnosed with a such a disease would you really fight it if you after all have been wanting to die anyways. I mean would you not feel relieved?

10. ashes_away

hmm..sounds like volunteering to be a lab rat?Taking experimental drugs for stem cell research? Eeek.The problem with that is people with mental illnesses should not be allowed to volunteer..any history of mental illness.It compromises the validation of their willing participation,imho.I've always thought people who were willing to volunteer should be able to if it has been cleared legally they have no history of mental illness.They do have a lot of volunteer research studies..but I hope they do not exploit mentally ill.When you think of it,who would unless they were desperate for money and those with mental illnesses are probably right up there in percentages.:blink:

11. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

depends upon the treatment if it was to keep me comfortable and out of pain i would take the treatment as it would help me to be cope with living for whatever time i had left.

12. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I probably would, even if they told me it was incurable.
    I would want to prolong my existence for as long as possible so I could get as much in as I could before D-Day.

I suppose knowing your time is up would probably change how you saw the world? I know a lot of us are suicidal on here, but imagine someone telling 'okay you've probably got 3 months, 6 months max if you go through chemo'.

I think a sort of peace might set in, of knowing you are finally going to get what you want. So why race towards the inevitable if it's coming very soon?

13. sd-239192

sd-239192 Well-Known Member

no i would not decline... I made a promise to myself i will only die under my own terms if i die its because i say its a good day to die not because some microbe thinks so...

14. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

I hit the jackpot! Whoo!!!!

my vote made it 777

So, where is my prize??

o...yeah i would accept treatment, if for nothing else i would do it just to live a bit longer, driven by the same notion that caused me to come here in the first place ^^

15. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies I have been thinking about this for awhile and really wanted to get you guy's input.

ashes_away. trial subjects are screened for health, including mental health. Maybe the person believes in stem cell treatment and is a great candidate for the study....like they want to help others but would rather not be treated?

16. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I would decline, because I so do not want to be on this planet.

17. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I would decline treatment. I don't see any reason to prolong my life.

18. ashes_away

oh that is all good...as long as it is people of sound mind! I was so glad when Obama changed the laws to allow more stem cell research.

19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I would decline.. After seeing what my dad went thru having a triple bypass and seeing two of my aunts suffer from cancer, and last my brother in law who had three brain tumors removed one at a time.. After each surgery he got worst..After his third he died a few weeks later..With my history I am sure one or the other will happen to me.. I just want to go..I see no reason to stick around..It's not like I have a life now..I just get by day to day..

20. darkplace

darkplace Well-Known Member

I picked yes. I see no reason for me to be here. Most of the time i wish i did have something that was killing me. I'd want to go as fast as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.