Infection?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by imreadytofall4613, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imreadytofall4613

imreadytofall4613 New Member

Hello, i just cut again on Friday night and my wrist looks strange. It has been slightly infected before, but now it is weird again. When I poke the area around it, it sounds very watery and it seems to have affects down my whole arm. It is very pink/red around it and the scar tissue is bigger than it usually is. I don't know whether to leave it or if it is something that could worsen. Thank you.

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Get yourself to the docs hun..that dont sound good :(

3. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

Yeah, and if your regular doctor isn't available tomorrow for an urgent care visit, I would find a doctor or nurse practitioner that can see you tomorrow, such as at an emergency clinic.

For now, I would cleanse it with hydrogen peroxide and apply a topical antibiotic, assuming you haven't done so already.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  4. imreadytofall4613

imreadytofall4613 New Member

Well, I have no way of getting there without telling someone and my mom thinks that I haven't done it again. For now should I just keep washing it?

5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

For now I would reccomend cleaning it with soap and water and put anti-botic and a bandage on it and get into the doctors as soon as you can. I've been struggling with selfharm for nearly 10 years, it doesn't sound good to be honest. Take care. :hug:

6. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

In the long term, the only thing that will matter to you will be the scarring (assuming the infection remains local rather than spreading to other parts of the body), and lessening the degree of infection will help prevent the scarring from being worse. This is the most important thing on your plate right now. You seem to be under-reacting and thinking very short term. Tell your mom ASAP to ensure you get the medical care that you need. Time is not on your side with bacterial infection, and, depending on the degree of infection, your doctor may prescribe oral antibiotics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.