Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sarahmk2, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahmk2

sarahmk2 Well-Known Member

I think my wrist may be infected.
    I looked at it this morning and when I touched it some pus came out. It aches and is very red and appears to be growing into a hole.
    I can't go to the hospital so does anyone know what else I can do?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

sounds like it is infected.

why can't you go to the hospital?
  3. sarahmk2

because i am under section so if they find out i hurt myself they will put me back in hospital
  4. Ire

Ire Guest

Definitely try to keep it clean and pus-free.

Maybe wipe it with rubbing alcohol/cotton swabs and apply some neosporin or somesuch, and maybe keep it under a soft, non-stick bandage if you can?

I have gotten a lot of staff infections, and the biggest thing seems to be squeezing out the pus when you can. Other than that you kind of have to let your body do the rest... I had a big one under my leg for a while and it finally just cleared up on it's own.

But if it gets to the point where your entire arm is puffy and sore, definitly get it seen to. This happened to my ankle, it traveled down my entire foot and up my calf before I saw a doctor about it. Not a good idea. I started getting a fever and even passed out once.

So if it looks like it's starting to spread to other areas get it taken care of even if it does get you in some trouble. Better than developing a fever and making the situation worse.
  5. sarahmk2

thanks, my whole wrist is aching though and i couldnt sleep last night because my arm hurt. its quite a deep cut and didnt close up so its wide open but kind of crystalised over? not a scab quite, dunno its wierd, not had this before
  6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

keep a close eye on it, okay? if you have a staph infection you could die... not to be too dramatic about it but a friend had a small cut on his leg get infected, it ached for a few days, red and sore, and then, whoom, travelled through his blood. fever, red and aching... he went to the ER and they told him if he hadn't gone then he'd be dead within a few hours.

if it's a regular infection, yeah, sure antibiotic ointment, keep it clean and let it dry out would be good advice.

but if its' something more serious would you rather go out, now, with this rather than a time and date of your own choosing?

7. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

<You should clean your wound every 2-3 hours and make sure it doesn´t yellow, try to make the woundbleed because if it bleeds helps a lot to start stoping the infection, after the bleeding clean the wound and use please some kind of medical desinfectant or alchool(yah that hurts a lot),try not to put any toilet paper or anything to cover it up, because with the air the wounds heal faster and you can see how the healing improves: don´t forget to clean the wound !
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

how is your wrist looking today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.