Injuring for attention.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Twinkle ☆ Twinkle, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

Do you ever find yourself hurting yourself because you want attention and people to care for you?

Like falling downstairs and breaking an arm or leg, or doing something else and make it look like an accident though it's really not?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

no i tend to want to not be noticed better that way. I would hope reaching out by talking to someone like a dr who can help would be better. Self harming only hurts you and you deserve compassion and care. talk to someone okay
  3. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

No, but when I broke my hand I enjoyed the attention so I can see why people would do it.
  4. thaliapage

thaliapage Member

I use to when I was little (like 10).
    i dont do it anymroe though - i dont want people to see or notice anything.

do you have anyone you can talk about this with?
  5. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

this is probably gana seem kinda bad and maybe not quite what you meant but idk sometimes when i feel like im getting better i will cut again just because its like when im going thought this people care and its like if this wasn't happening then i feel like everyone would stop caring now dont get my wrong its not all because of that i do have other reasons for things to but yes attention is sometimes a factor
  6. CheapEscape

CheapEscape Active Member

justme, I get what you're saying. I feel the same way sometimes--that if something isn't seriously wrong with me, then I'm not worth caring about, so sometimes I think I try to make myself worse than I am. If that makes sense.
  7. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I injure for attention exactly, and I would completely freak out if anyone outside of my therapist found out. But I do think I injure sometimes to demonstrate to my therapist how bad I'm doing. For example - if I haven't self injured for awhile, my therapist will be all "yay, today we're going to approach some of your fears! Let's make phone calls and talk to strangers and apply for jobs! Yay, fun!!" Which is absolutely terrifying for me. But once I start to self injure again, she gets all concerned and we talk about easy things, like distress tolerance techniques.

My self injury didn't start that way obviously, since I self injured way before I ever saw a therapist. But now its role has morphed somewhat into an avoidance technique.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.