Innocent man suffering mental illness dies in police custody

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Yesterday a man who suffered mental illness - most probably chronic depression (like me) - died in police custody. Why was he in custody? For self harm. Obviously he needed help at a hospital. Why was he in a police station? He had not broken any laws. He was simply suffering the effects of an ILLNESS - something he could not help. Yet he was treated like a criminal, arrested and left to die?

This is almost what happened to me when the police got involved. You wouldn't call the fire-brigade if you had food poisoning. Don't call the police if you are suffering a mental illness. They are not doctors and will treat you like a criminal, as above.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Police are not educated to deal with mental illness they get angry fed up with people too easily if this person self harmed then of course should have been taken straight to hospital
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

When I was arrested for 5 misdemeanors in 1 night (ranging from interference with a communication device, to two counts of assault), I was not in my 'right mind'. I was hallucinating and yet I was put in handcuffs, and sent off to jail. I recall calling my 'angels' obedient, because they were taking me away from the dark forces in my home.

I was still hallucinating when I ended up in jail.

Police don't care if you are mentally ill. They only want to arrest people, or hurt them in other ways. They really don't care about the mentally ill.
  4. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, than hopefully the hospital staff will do there jobs and help them. Police will typically only detain and individual than they'll take him/her to the appropriate place which could be the hospital. Most of the time police may over react because they do indeed have no training in mental illness's. Handcuffs will likely be used or some other type of restraint life plastic cuffs. Metal handcuffs could inflict marks on the individual assuming he's trying to get away, or struggling against the handcuffs. So, in the end it boils down where he/she get's help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.