Inpatient Therapy (hospitalization)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Inker19, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inker19

Inker19 Well-Known Member

Please indulge me in some stories of times any of you have spent in an inpatient therapy program/been hospitalized for suicide. Details about your specific situation aren't necessary if you don't wish to provide them. I'm just curious about the actual process, what age you were when you were there, how your family reacted, how your friends reacted (though I don't have to worry about that one), etc.

I'm going to talk to a therapist about it sometime in the near future, but I'd like to read some first hand accounts of what actually happens.
  2. alices_ponder

alices_ponder Well-Known Member

When I was hospitalised for one of my suicide attempts I went into the hospital and was only there a few hours. I won't tell you how I did it or anything. But my parents were there and they were really upset but didn't want me to go on any form of medication because they have shaded views on anti-depressants and believe that it only makes you worse. So I have never been able to get medication anyway.

The nurses were OK, didn't really talk, the doctor was rude and didn't speak to me at all- he just spoke to my mother and ignored me so I stayed silent.

My friends at the time were upset, well my closest friends anyway because no one else knew anything about it at all. We kept it all very quiet because my best friend was going through things with his family and suicide attempts and I didn't want people annoying him over my problems :unsure:

That is all really.. My doctor never did anything about it and I have never had a counsellor even though I asked my doctor for one, AND went into the local health centre were the counsellors also work from and asked to be signed up to a counselling service. But they never contacted me back so I was too scared to contact them again after that.. :blink:
  3. alices_ponder

alices_ponder Well-Known Member

Oh by the way, at that point i was only 15 years old. My parents never brought it up again because they are reserved and weird about those kinds of things. :shelbi:
  4. Soloflight

Soloflight New Member

over the past 2 years I have been in hospital approximately 1-2 months. I received no "talking treatment" whatsoever, except once a week I was told I was going to be kept another week.
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I was hospitalized last september for a week after I told my therapist that I had it all planned. I was sent to my GP and then she sent me to A&E with a letter to see a psychiatrist asap.
    My mum was with me while I saw the nurse first, and told her about the urges, how I planned to do it, the self harming.. the nurse was really nice, she didnt seem to judge. Mum was pretty upset and shocked by all of what I said, and she was nearly in tears, and she just couldnt get over how depressed I was.
    Then the psychiatrist came in and asked me a bunch more questions and the same questions over again, this went on for about an hour maybe 2, I wasnt really watching the time, I was in a daze.
    Towards the end my mum came back in the room and the psychiatrist said they were going to section me cause I was at risk of carrying out my plans if I was let home.
    So off I went to the psych ward, I was the youngest there by about 15 years minimum. They didnt really offer me any help, i got no counselling or anything while I was there, it was just a safe place to be while I was in crisis mode.
    I lied through my teeth to get out of there, saying I had seen the error of my ways, I was sorry for upsetting my mum and I'm focused on going to college and getting a job.... What BS.
    But it kept me safe, and stopped me doing what I had planned to do. And for a time out it was good. I just wanted to be back in my own bed.

I'm 21, and was 21 when I was sectioned
  6. Inker19

Inker19 Well-Known Member

This is what I'm afraid of. Because I know that's exactly how it'll happen to me.
  7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Well when I got out of there, I got an appointment with a psychologist and that helped me a great deal. Validated my feelings, helped me deal with my anxiety, and I only just finished up with him on tuesday. without him I wouldnt be where I am now. What services have you open to you?
  8. unwinged

unwinged Well-Known Member

..try to avoid being there at all costs. it can be shuttering. you think it will be alright but it feels like prison. they take away everything that belongs to you, turning you inside out, to check if there is anything left you can harm yourself with. they mistrust you and it makes you feel less human. it's like a camp where you're dishonored. they call you out from your room to take the medicine. you wait in the cue with all the other disturbed and mad people. some talk to themselves. some swear and get told off for behaving badly, it's painful to hear it, because you want to be on their side. the cue is colorful; this is where you really get to know everyone. someone will strike a conversation, and tell you how their sister was pushed into prostitution by their abusive farther. others will be looking at their fresh scars and wounds, hoping they don't look ugly to you. many will tell you how they don't want any lithium or anything anymore, because it messes with their mind. not far off, a couple of men will be planning to escape sometime soon. only, one has a history of stalking women and another one is just a chronic drunk, and everyone knows they're trying to escape. etc etc. i could write a little book... but just don't go there. the people that you'll meet will never leave your mind. you'll be one them, you might never see yourself in the same light again...but the rooms are nice, and they clean them everyday i think, so the place is not too bad. some say people who have been admitted more than once, gave up on normal life and like staying there because it's like a the morning, you really get to see how sad everyone is, and it makes all your life worse...
  9. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I have been hospitalized.... :blink: It sucks for many reasons but it also helps....I think :unsure:
  10. unwinged

yeah.. maybe it can help, it can be nice that people can pay attention to you so much. you feel special. but i think it only applies to those that are not to disturbed... i don't know. i wish i wouldn't go through that experience.
  11. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I have been in three hospitals. One was very worthwhile to go to, but I found out the hard way if they have no room you are sent elsewhere. The elsewhere I could not stand. My problem was major depression and the people there were mainly psychotic. It was the one time I was afraid of some of the other patients. The third hospital was okay as far as the psychological help went, but when I got a blood clot, I could have lost my left leg. The medical doctor there could not believe I had a clot. A trip to a hospital is a gamble. Sometimes it is a good experience and sometimes bad or dangerous. If you are truly suicidal though, the hospital becomes necessary just make sure you have an advocate (doctor or family) on the outside.
  12. unwinged

yeah i was afraid of other patients at first. but surprisingly, they turned out to be nice people and i was able to make friends with most of them...
  13. Gina

Gina Member

Brent, I see your in Mass., I was in one acute care and one long term place there, they were in the Berkshires, if you'd like to know more about that please send me a personal message.
    I'm assuming you are talking about acute care - meaning a short term your feeling suicidal need a safe place stay. My experience in my state, as well as Mass., is somewhat the same for most of the places. I'd go through the ER and then you walk up to the psych ward. I find that I usually feel like I lost a little of my dignity having to walk around in shoes I've had to take the laces out of and things like that, after the first couple times and I had my aunt and sister visit, I no longer want people to visit. I do find it embarrassing that I'm there and I know they don't really understand. My mom now lives in my town, and I would hate for her to see me there.
    I never benefitted from any groups or the staff there, the staff can't really get to know you. I would assume I did benefit from not being able to act on plans and the different then home setting did often help me feel somewhat better, especially wanting to get out of there to do some normal things again like get some fast food and sleep in my own bed - wear shoes with laces.
    Often the other patients seamed very weird and scary at first. One time there was this really large, all scarred up guy, I didn't know what to make of him, but when I was leaving I was so happy I was there with these patients and we were all hugging.
    I found that there is usually at least two 'wards' one for people who are more out of control and one for those who are not. If you still threaten suicide while you are there or make them worry some how while you are there you will probably be in with the more out of control people. Once I was on what they call 'one on one' or open door seclusion. They had to have eye's or a camera on me at all times (I did get to showwer/bathroom but someone was outside the door). That was my worst acute experience and doesn't happen to most people or me the other times. Everytime there I would get a quick medical evaluation, blood, pee, vitals, etc.
    I would highly suggest not going to a hospital that accepts indigent patients (most US cities have one), I spent time in just an ER there once and was just flat out threatened when I got there that if I missed behaved I would get 3 painful shots. I got out of there as soon as I could. As someone else said, if where you go has no beds available you may be transferred, so you actually can call or your doctor will call and find out if they do have open beds.
    Overall, my experience in private hospitals has been OK. If you find yourself getting close to suiciding you should absolutely go to the hospital.
  14. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Hmm.. would you say that you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself?

I ask this because perhaps a partial hospitalization program would be better for you than inpatient. Obviously, if you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself and don't feel safe, inpatient can be a useful & necessary form of treatment. However, from what I've heard from others (I've never been inpatient), inpatient can be painful/stressful/traumatizing..

I did a partial hospitalization program earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it. It was difficult, yes, but I think it helped me tons. Basically, you are at the hospital all day, but then leave at night to sleep in your own home. You aren't as supervised as you would be as inpatient, and they don't do anything invasive like search you or anything. I did have to get blood work done and urine tests.. I'm not sure if that's typical or not - they wanted to check in on that because I had been abusing several prescription medicines. In my partial program I spent most my time in groups (~8 ish people), but saw my psychiatrist and my counselor every day. I also met with a dietician, social worker, and a doctor (non-psychiatric, a GP). If you want to talk any more about partial programs, feel free to send me a pm! I'm hugely in favor of them =]

good luck in whatever you decide to do! It's good you're being proactive :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.