Inpatient: What to say in order to stay as long as I really need.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Eoghan, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Eoghan

Eoghan Member

I am not sure if this is the right section to put this in.

I am cursed/blessed with the ability to appear a lot healthier than I actually am. As such I tend to get released from inpatient wards long before I actually should be, and end up with a very dodgy few months. I have been very lucky so far, but I am afraid my luck may be running out.

On to the question, If things don't improve in the next few weeks, I am going to check myself in for my own protection. What should I say or do to make sure they keep me as long as I really need?

A little more detail so you have a reference point:

*I have Schizoaffective disorder, the delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia are fairly reasonably controlled.
    Essentially, I only have delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia that would turn neurotypicals into a quivering mass of goo. Those experienced with psychosis would find them merely unpleasant.

*Mania and Depression: I very rarely get any mania that isn't tied up with psychosis. Depression however is a fairly constant reality.

*Suicidal Ideation: I have to laugh about this one, I have gone far past the ideation phase and have plots and schemes that could fill volumes. Until recently, however those plots and schemes were slated for many years in the future. I have never attempted, but I am afraid if things don't improve soon, I will.

Anyway, that's the situation, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I think what you need to do is be honest from the moment you turn to them.
    Tell them straight up "I look better than I am" and explain to them why.

I had to do the same with my therapist this time. I managed to fake recovery with my last therapist some years back to avoid working on the real painful problems (and to make her happy *rolls eyes*)... This time I told my therapist at the first session what had happened the last time, I told her I was really good at seeming okay when I wasn't... and we made an agreement that she would try to look beyond that, and I promised to try to be as honest as I could. It was a massive stone off of my back there.

Good luck with it all, and kudos for you to keep getting help and realizing what is wrong!

Take care of yourself!

Eoghan likes this.
  3. Eoghan

Eoghan Member

Thanks for the advice ThePhantomLady, I will try that.

I have been doing that with my psychiatrists for years. Perhaps I think that if I don't say anything about it, it doesn't exist.