Inpatient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfreak

Hi everyone. Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct place so apologise if I don't. My psych has said I probably could do with being in inpatient treatment but I've never really considered it, however i'm feeling severely suicidal and considering it. My question really is what can I usually take with me? Ie iPod, laptop and phone? I'm a creature of comforts admittedly and without these I fear I would tell then what they want to hear in order to just get out which I know would be a pointless waste of money. Also do u normally share a room? I'd struggle with this also as I'm so socially inept. I've made a list of the pros and cons and the pros currently outweigh the cons :( I don't want to upset my family without need so any information on you guys' experiences would be much appreciated. Oh and the reason for suggesting IP was because I tried to hang myself and such like other things last week. Thank you in advance x

hey.. I've been an inpatient a few times, and I think if that's what needs to happen to keep you safe, you should accept the support hon. I know it is scary, but it's better than trying to cope on your own. When I went in, I wasn't allowed my laptop, because of the leads, but if I gave the nurses my phone charger and ipod charger they let me have my phone and ipod, and they would just charge them as and when needed. The first time I went in, on the first night I was in a dormitary thing, with 3 other beds, but there were only 2 girls in with me, and I got moved to my own room the next day.. the rest of the times I have been in I was in a single room. Although I didn't enjoy my time there, I understand why it was best I went, and I knew it was good for me to have a break, and be supported at that moment in time. If it's anywhere like mine, they do support groups throughout mon-sat.. I refused to go at first due to my anxiety and I was kept in longer. Try and cooperate and be honest with the nurses and pdocs.. they are only there to help you, and can't give you the full support you need if they don't know the whole story. Well done for being honest with your psych, and considering following their advice. If I were you I would take a couple of books in with you too, to keep yourself occupied.. it can get boring. This all applies to adult psychiatric wards/hospitals.. a friend of mine went to an adolescent one and wasn't even allowed her phone.. so it depends on age, and whereabouts you're from I guess. I hope I helped.. please take care, and let us know what's going on for you :) :hug:

Catfreak

Thank you, you've helped greatly. I've been in tough with an old friend who's stepdad is nurse or was a nurse at my local psychiatric unit to discuss the INS and outs. Sorry to hear you've been in a few times. Dos they help you at all? X

Catfreak

Just an update. I think I've come to the conclusion that inpatient is my last and only option for any form of hope, at least noone can say I haven't tried everything then eh? I've gotten information from an ex nurse at my local psych hospital to get as clued up as possible. Any other information anyone would like to give regarding what to take etc would be much appreciated x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00