Insect with the Shortest Life-span

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
The insect with the shortest lifespan is the Mayfly (Ephemeroptera). It has a lifespan of only one day! In my case, even if I'm in deepest despair, I still do not envy the Mayfly. Because even when I'm in deep despair, I would still want to live for at least 1 month more, so I can accomplish certain things.

At present, I want to live for one more year, so it means I'm doing fairly well. Because I'm in my 60s, I don't want to live for too much more, but in the meantime I still enjoy life. So not envying the Mayfly at all, but just one year more for me would be ideal. How about you others?

Winslow

SF Supporter
What I'm trying to say is that to want death a year from now is not suicidal at all. Because the way I see it, a truly suicidal person would want death as soon as possible. Whereas with someone who is only mildly dejected, he wants to die a whole year from now. In other words, he still enjoys life during the interim between the present and the future. And if he enjoys life, that means he's not suicidal.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I guess though I struggle daily...I always hold onto the glimmer of hope that there is so much that can happen in a year that can change our current thoughts/situations etc. in ways that we can't imagine right now...that deep down despite how I may be feeling at this moment/day/week/month I want to be around to see what this year and the year after that may bring..if that makes any sense. I also look to my 103 year old mother in law's attitude of always looking forward...she did not have an easy life but she did have a full life and though her world has shrunk a bit with age she still looks forward to each day and makes plans for family visits a year from now....Sending you hugs.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I call that latently suicidal, when one wants to die later on but not right now. It's not intensely suicidal or actively suicidal but it's there and maybe you know that's how you're gonna go out one day. But things are there right now so you keep on truckin.

Winslow

SF Supporter
Yes, I keep on trucking, just as you said. I see your point when you refer to me as latently suicidal because I want to die later instead of right now. Technically, that latency is true because suicide is always in the back of my mind, I'll admit. But it's still a constructive accomplishment because the delaying tactic means I'll stay alive for one more year at least. And that is certainly an improvement over what I used to be.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Have you read Steppenwolf? Near the beginning of the novel the main character talks about how he intends to commit suicide at some indeterminate future time. He keeps postponing it, deciding he can go on a while longer. But knowing that the option is open is a comfort and, ironically, is part of what allows him to continue living.

Sorry, you just reminded me of that.

Winslow

SF Supporter
No, I never heard of that novel Steppenwolf. But you got me interested. Yes, it sounds somewhat similar to the attitude I have, that my constant postponement of suicide ironically keeps me alive.
Currently, I'm doing pretty good because nowadays I don't search for any suicide methods. The last time I tried searching, it made me feel worse because any method I find has the strong possibility of backfiring and making my situation even worse. In many suicidal attempts, the attempt backfires and the unfortunate person winds up with such severe brain damage to the point where his whole body is paralyzed so he cannot move his legs and arms at all. Or he can lose his eyesight, becoming totally blind. So I don't want to do anything that I'll live to regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00