<insert good title here>

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Shattered_oblivion, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shattered_oblivion

Shattered_oblivion Active Member

Well, I've had a few experiences dealing with addiction. Anywhere from smokers, to narcotic abuse. The main addiction that came into my life was the narcotic abuse. My father abuses prescription meds, which in most of them he abuses, have narcotics. He's told the doctor, and says he's quiting the habit, but I seriously doubt it. His addiction has gone into abuse, and I don't know what to do. The only other time I had to deal with a serious addiction, that turned into abuse, was another father I knew, he was an alcholic. I really haven't much expeirience with dealing with an addicition in the family, that circles back to me, in abuse. If anyone has any advice on how I can handle this, I would really like your help.

2. My dad struggled with migraines for years and got prescribed narcotics. Then, because he had the headaches so often, he got addicted to them. The main thing that helped him was going to a detox center in Texas. It was hell for him, but he got through his addiction and hasn't touched a narcotic in a while.

Don't know if it helps, but in my family's experience, detox was the answer.

3. Bette

Bette Guest

Honey, I am sorry you are having to deal with that.

There's nothing you can do. Nothing. They have to want it. They have to really want to stop it. IF your father told a Doctor that's a good sign. I'm a recovering heroin addict. Any narcotic would do for me. Just a way of life. When I was still using I would NEVER even when I was in a bad accident tell them. My fear of being left in pain was that reason.

Once you tell the Doctor and that's where he got the drugs as in prescription then that Doctor will wean him or as the other poster said he can go to detox.

Detox just gets you through withdrawl. The brain chemistry part though has it call you every single day. So the staying clean part is harder than the detox.

Wishing you well, honey. Just let him know you care about him and are there for him. Preaching don't help. Short of chaing him to the toilet tank there's nothing you can do, baby. Just let him know you care and will support him.

4. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

do I happen to know this alcoholic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.