INSOMNIA - Please help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by galalleni, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

I have some pretty severe and chronic insomnia which makes my depression much worse (hey, eternal rest sounds very appealing when you've slept only 8 hours for the entire week).

I've tried trazedone 50mg-600mg, Ambein 10mg-20mg, Halcion, Klonopin 2mg, Xanax, Chloral Hydrate 100?g - now my doc has put me on temazepam (another benzo) @ 30mg, I took it 3 hours ago and here I am, still coherent even, not tired in the least - I'm going to take another 30mg again, just to see if I'm taking snake oil. And no - benedryl and OTC meds don't even phase me, melatonin/anti-histamin, chamomile, etc.

Tried thorazine for a while too - just made me drool and drag my feet around - but that was for my psychosis mainly (it's also used to tranquilize lions, tigers, and other large mamals)

My family said my only option might be a frying pan - it's awful not to be able to sleep a full night and constantly feeling exaushted.

Any Ideas? Anything else people know that might help in the least would be greatly appreciated - no matter how small or plain the idea might seem.

PS Already tried the booze and other illicit drugs to get sleep - just made me high or drunk, no sleep though (even with chronic purple haze and jack daniels on top, if you know what that is). I've been sober for about five months now (except a morphine I took last week, my step father gave it to me cause it knocks him out, just made me kinda goofy and defintely not tired).

:dry: I'm all out of ideas and sick of my blasted brain that never takes a rest. PLEASE HELP! :cool:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Have you tried talk therapy? It may sound silly, but I have heard of extreme cases of insomnia be helped even when meds or anything else wont work by seeing a therapist and changing your thinking patterns about sleep.
  3. valley

valley Member

I think alcohol actually stimulates the adrenal glands and might even keep you from sleeping.

Have you tried melatonin? It's over the counter and cheap and supposedly natural and non-habit forming, but don't take more than one. Maybe take one with herbal tea (chamomile, kava etc).

My friend finds it impossible to sleep at night and he can only sleep during the day, so he works at night instead of trying to fight it.

Do you know the medical cause of the insomnia? Insomnia and depression together might be symptoms of an underlying medical problem. It could even be a nutritional problem.
  4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i havent done the drugs yet for sleeping as the docs wont give me any, but other ways i have tried would be the breathing techniques, sounds really gay, but it used to work.

i was told to clear my mind, and think of an open blank white space, and breath as deep in as i could, counting to 10 as i did it, and then out as slowly as possible counting again. then as it slowly relaxed you (if it does) build up a "happy" and "safe" enviroment with a soft carpet for you to walk on and a soft area for you to rest. and just continue the breathing through this and its supposed to relax you

you may just think its shit, and tbh it sounds complete BS, but it worked a few times,

better than just looking at your thread and passing by.... :dry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.