insomnia?

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by J3nny, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J3nny

J3nny Well-Known Member

i can't stay asleep for more than 3 hours at a time if that....i wake up smoke a cig then try to sleep again for 2 hours..this has been happening for at least a month now maybe 2........my doctor diagnosed me as bipolar so maybe its a manic episode.

2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Being an insomniac for the last fifteen-odd years, I know where you are coming from and do pretty much the same as you, where I sleep for about 3-4 hours, then wake, feel the need for a cigarette and then sleep again for another two hours (if lucky) and once I wake up again after that, nothing else will get me to sleep and keep me under for the eight hours of recommended sleep the average person requires each night, unless I use one of the medications I list below that I get once every month from my GP.
    Insomnia is caused by a great deal of things, from bi-polar disorder to simple stress and concerns that are going on in your daily life that are weighing heavily on your mind at the end of the day as well as anxiety about upcoming events that you are having trouble avoiding. It happens to the best of us and everyone gets insomnia at least once in their lifetime. There are certain medications that you can ask your doctor to prescribe for you, so you could talk with your GP about them and see what they have to say, if (s)he thinks you are good candidate for such medications.
    The best and safest way, instead of polluting your body with medication though is to try and get into a proper sleep pattern. Choose a set hour each night that you will go to bed and stick with it for a month or so as well as avoid taking any naps during the day, as that also has an impact on how you sleep at night. Another way is to get out of the house as much as you can during the day and try and spend as little time in your bedroom as possible until it is time for you to go to bed, because the bedroom is associated by everyone as a room in their house where you go each night to sleep and spending large amounts of time in the bedroom during the day has been proven to affect your mental ability into confusing your body as to when the proper time is to sleep.
    But one thing you should not do before going to bed at night, despite popular opinion is indulge in excess exercise or any caffeine-related drinks or any type of food at least an hour before going to bed, because exercise builds up your adrenaline levels and that has an averse effect on being able to maintain a proper sleeping routine, resulting in a restless night.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  3. J3nny

J3nny Well-Known Member

unforutanetly i spend most of my time in my room during the day because i have nothing else to do literally...i have this intense pain internally that keeps me down at all times, i can hardly go for a walk down to the store anymore because of it's poking itself in what feels like my back. i usually Try to fall asleep at 9pm each night which is really early for me as i usually go to sleep at 12 or later...i can't stand the day so much sometimes and get so bored out of my mind that i fall asleep at 9 to escape the pain of continuing in boredom. tv, computer,games, everything i do now is so meaningless, its like its just background noise, nothing grabs my attention. then waking up every 2 hours at night just makes it worse..........ill ask the doc about sleep meds though

4. J3nny

J3nny Well-Known Member

bad bad insomnia

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Is it possible you could get some sleeping pills? I told my psych I could not sleep a long time ago, I'm currently on 50mg seroquel, 30mg Mirtazapine, 1mg xanax and 20mg stilnoct for sleep. All work in combination for a great nights sleep. It's the stilnoct which is the main sleeping pill and I'm on a huge dose, 5mg is minimum, I'm on 20mg, it relaxes me and makes me very drowsy very quickly after I take it. It's a lifesaver. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.