Insomnia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LenaLunacy

About 2 months ago i was diagnosed with insomnia by my doctor and he put me on florazapam but i dont take it often cos i get this overwhelming urge to overdose on it but i havent slept for nearly a week n i'm feeling very ill and weak now. i don't no what to do. i don't no how much damage it would do if i took more than the regular dose. anyone got any tips for me to get sum sleep or different meds or anything pls? thanks xx

I've had problems with insomnia on and off for a long time. I tried a lot of medications, but the only thing that has truly worked is Mirtazapine. Now, I'm not saying it's going to give you some heavenly sleep where you wake up feeling happy and excited to start the day.. but I had better sleeping experiences overall (and no bad side effects) with the drug, so it's probably worth trying. It takes about a week to get used to Mirtazapine, so don't worry if it feels too strong at first - it will be milder and still relaxing once you're used to it.

If you occasionally feel sleepy in the morning, Concerta is a good prescription for bringing you energy and focus (good for work & school) but only if you really need it. I found Concerta to be good for the days where it's hardest to get out of bed or motivate myself. If you're going to try it, only take Concerta in the mornings (it tends to last 12 hrs.) so that it'll wear off by the time you're about to sleep and take Mirtazapine. These two drugs are completely safe to take together, though I just prefer taking Concerta in the morning & Mirtazapine at night.

Note: You'll have to talk with the psychiatrist to make sure these prescriptions are right for you, and any of your allergies or health problems should be addressed before deciding to take these. Mention that you have depression and trouble sleeping, and that a friend recommended Mirtazapine. (it's an anti-depressant, but also is good for sleep)

So that's what I recommend, though I don't know if it will help you or not. I don't take them every night, just once in awhile if I need something extra to help me out. If you take either of these regularly, make sure you drink a lot of water during the day, eat well, and try to get 30 min. of exercise during weekdays. If you can manage that, your sleep should improve even more. It helps to have a good therapist who can offer advice for your life problems, so you can always consider that too. Spending time with good friends will help your mood some. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00