Inspiration to eat?

18breanna

Hi SF,

This problem has been going on for about a year now. Does anybody have advice on inspiring myself to eat? I keep on pushing it aside like it's nothing but I have been waking up feeling very dizzy which really frightened me. I know this sounds like I'm just being irresponsible but I really don't have the urge to eat sometimes, even when I get dizzy/light-heated/empty-feeling.
(I don't think I have anorexia, I don't have body issues)

Thanks

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Hi, 18breanna. My practical suggestion is to have some healthy and nutritious foods on hand that you like a lot. Make eating a special time that you enjoy (favorite mug, pretty plate, nice utensils, nice napkins, cold water...)

And because you have been dizzy and haven't had an appetite, I would say see your doctor. A variety of things (from a virus to stress to depression to...) can decrease our appetite and make it hard to be motivated to prepare and eat meals. Wouldn't it be cool if all you needed was a few days in bed and some extra fluids? But only a medical professional can diagnose you. In the meantime, fruits and veggies, proteins and whole grains might be a start. Be well. Please get yourself checked out. :)

MarkahMalady

If you can't bring yourself to eat solid food maybe some liquids would be easier? Are there specific foods you never have a hard time with? Even when I'm extra full of self loathing I can usually manage 6 almonds and an apricot, that's my go-to. Maybe yours could be a tub of Greek yogurt and a baby banana or something :) Disordered eating does not have to turn into an eating disorder! Good luck in finding a way around your eating difficulties. <3

I can relate to the issue. I would try to find out why you avoid food when feeling bad. What (sub)conscious perceptions of food and feelings are controlling your eating habits? Knowing why you do what you do makes it easier to question it and change it.

Dottie

Public Access
Not eating can make you feel miserable and it will make your body feel physically bad. That's just a fact. I haven't been eating properly for months, and I can tell my lymph nodes are really swollen right now and I look puffy and like crap, and it's all from not eating.

If you have no appetite for no reason you can discern, I would chat with your doctor. It could be a medical issue, especially accompanied by dizziness and the like.

Otherwise, maybe just start small. Soup, broth, etc. See if you can work your way up to eating something solid over a few days. And if it still poses an issue, please talk to a doctor.

SofiaLisbon

Hi 18breanna.
Well my inspiration to eat is that I feel that when I eat better I sleep better, maybe because the brain has more power to function and dream. Also once someone told me that a malign tumor can take decades to grow, so I think that the options I'm taking today can influence my health decades from now. Also I read that our body every day battles against muted cells that can origin a malign tumor.
I found this text about the health part, hopefully its inspiring to you. But yeah its really important to eat better.

How Fast Does Cancer Grow?
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim

Over the years, I've found that many people don't seem to realize that the vast majority of malignancies aren't palpable and don't create symptoms for several years, and sometimes decades. This is a critical point to understand, as our choices today are unmistakably what determine our risk for cancer and most chronic diseases in the years ahead - even thirty, forty, fifty years ahead.

http://drbenkim.com/how-fast-does-cancer-grow-spread

Do you have an happy memories from before this previous year that you can try to link with eating to motivate you in a way?

Did something happen roughly about a year ago in your life that you can think of--any change? I really agree with @Acy that you should check with a doctor to see what may be the cause, and perhaps the best course to rectify it.

Perhaps not inspiring per se but can you set multiple alarms perhaps to remind you to eat at certain times even if you don't feel like it, and maybe even start with a handful of something healthy?

BarryW

SF Supporter
I get light-headed often from not eating enough but I always cave eventually if for no other reason than I realize my only other choice besides eating is starving which is very slow and not fun and I don't want to do that. But that's negative reinforcement. If you can, think of a positive reason to eat.. something that you want to do that you can't do if you don't eat.. could be an activity that requires physical or mental energy.

I would suggest making smoothies because it an easy way to get in food without having to spend time sitting down and eating it. I also have the same roblem where I lose my appetite, but I can always tell when my body needs food because I start getting really shaky and lightheaded. I always pack granola bars in my bag because it is a really quick and easy way to fuel me without having to think about it really. There are these bars called Lara Bars which I love. I would highly recommend.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Try drinking soup as it is an appetizer. Get to enjoy food by cooking it yourself and preparing it, that might make it more appealing.

Just make sure you drink water eating will come treat yourself there is nothing wrong with food its the society we live in that burdens us with back aches as if we have to eat a certain ewwww "diet". just try nibbles at first pick at bits and bobs dont put a load on yourself thinking you can overcome the problem with a scripted diet plan.

18breanna

Hi, 18breanna. My practical suggestion is to have some healthy and nutritious foods on hand that you like a lot. Make eating a special time that you enjoy (favorite mug, pretty plate, nice utensils, nice napkins, cold water...)

And because you have been dizzy and haven't had an appetite, I would say see your doctor. A variety of things (from a virus to stress to depression to...) can decrease our appetite and make it hard to be motivated to prepare and eat meals. Wouldn't it be cool if all you needed was a few days in bed and some extra fluids? But only a medical professional can diagnose you. In the meantime, fruits and veggies, proteins and whole grains might be a start. Be well. Please get yourself checked out. :)
Thank you for the recommendation. I had an appointment and it turns out I need to be drinking a LOT my water...also the idea of making eating a special time sounds nice. I usually feel bad when forced to eat, and try to steer clear of it.

18breanna

If you can't bring yourself to eat solid food maybe some liquids would be easier? Are there specific foods you never have a hard time with? Even when I'm extra full of self loathing I can usually manage 6 almonds and an apricot, that's my go-to. Maybe yours could be a tub of Greek yogurt and a baby banana or something :) Disordered eating does not have to turn into an eating disorder! Good luck in finding a way around your eating difficulties. <3
I like go-to foods that do not spoil as quickly as fresh fruit, so dried fruit may be a good thing to try

18breanna

I can relate to the issue. I would try to find out why you avoid food when feeling bad. What (sub)conscious perceptions of food and feelings are controlling your eating habits? Knowing why you do what you do makes it easier to question it and change it.
How do I dig to find these subconscious perceptions? I am not bulimic, or anything, and I can't understand why food turns me off so much.

18breanna

Not eating can make you feel miserable and it will make your body feel physically bad. That's just a fact. I haven't been eating properly for months, and I can tell my lymph nodes are really swollen right now and I look puffy and like crap, and it's all from not eating.

If you have no appetite for no reason you can discern, I would chat with your doctor. It could be a medical issue, especially accompanied by dizziness and the like.

Otherwise, maybe just start small. Soup, broth, etc. See if you can work your way up to eating something solid over a few days. And if it still poses an issue, please talk to a doctor.
Thank you. I am sorry to hear that, and on a next appointment I will ask about this. I was not aware that not wanting food very often could be a sign of medical issues.

18breanna

Do you have an happy memories from before this previous year that you can try to link with eating to motivate you in a way?

Did something happen roughly about a year ago in your life that you can think of--any change? I really agree with @Acy that you should check with a doctor to see what may be the cause, and perhaps the best course to rectify it.

Perhaps not inspiring per se but can you set multiple alarms perhaps to remind you to eat at certain times even if you don't feel like it, and maybe even start with a handful of something healthy?
I know that me getting extremely busy and anxious/stressed probably aligned with this issue. Thank you for this, hopefully some type of "positive association" could possibly work

18breanna

I would suggest making smoothies because it an easy way to get in food without having to spend time sitting down and eating it. I also have the same roblem where I lose my appetite, but I can always tell when my body needs food because I start getting really shaky and lightheaded. I always pack granola bars in my bag because it is a really quick and easy way to fuel me without having to think about it really. There are these bars called Lara Bars which I love. I would highly recommend.
Thanks for this advice. My first impulse when I feel like I'm near passing-out is to make a fruit smoothie. At one point, I realised "I need some type of energy or I will lose consciousness"

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00