instinct to live is antiquated

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ipse_Dixit, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipse_Dixit

Ipse_Dixit Well-Known Member

this is an issue that lays inside me for why death is "not a bad choice" or "not an unreasonable choice"...and i cannot get around the issue...

they say we all have an instinct to survive -- some primitive, prehistoric sort of thing that is ingrained in us, the "fight or flight" response they say -- and that this is some "natural" order to life that says killing ourselves is not natural.

however the issue for me is -- that like many things, this "instinct to survive" is a vestigial part, an antiquated and prehistoric instinct that no longer has use -- meaning it's there but it just has lost its use because we no longer have "sabertooth tigers" etc. to run from.

i just don't understand what the purpose of holding onto "living" so vigorously is? why does it matter either way? i just don't get it at all. what says that either way is the "natural" way? it just baffles me why anyone so forcefully tries to keep their lives going.

...of course, I cannot speak for others views of life and if people want to continue to live....they should be able to have that choice...but why can I not have the same courtesy and allowed to have the choice to die? i've been deliberating over this for more than 20 years...so it isn't a choice i make lightly.

2. Jump

Jump Member

We are living creatures and like all living creatures we have a very strong instinct to survive and then to reproduce. If we didn't have these instincts we wouldn't be here. It is hard to commit suicide- I think about it every day but have never even tried.

I look at my life this way- I am 24 and those years have passed fairly quickly, time goes quickly so it wont be long before you die of natural causes.You will die eventually- look forward to it, but while you are here might as well do something. MDMA

3. Ipse_Dixit

Ipse_Dixit Well-Known Member

what you don't get is i've already decided it is antiquated and a foolish trait to survive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.